Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is so silly. Help me fix it.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, May 13, 2003.

1. As of friday, every student at my high school (JEB Stuart) will have to to sign in to school by scanning ID cards. The system will soon be implementedin the classrooms too, so they can track us down at anytime. I object to the principle behind this. It just is one of those infringements on our freedom in exchange for security, which is not a trend I feel belongs in the public school system.

What would be some good methods of deturring the use of this system? I heard from one of my teachers that a little vasoline on the cards could jam the machines... I dont' know how to organize a massive protest, such as getting people to throw out their cards. This system will fail, but I'd like it to fail faster. What would be some good "pranks" to stop this? Thanks!

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    You could try having all your friends "forget" to bring their cards.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    how bout its like treating you like criminals

bp13

4. That's stoopid.

They tried to do this at our school, but the system's didn't work here for some reason.

:bassist:

5. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Yeah, I have to agree, it is stupid...and I am not sure I would want my daughter to go to a school like that. How is knowing that you made it to class going to make the school safer? Hell you could be packing something in you pants...but that's ok...as long as you made it to class and had your card scanned....DAR!:meh:

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm packing something in my pants.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I hate to encourage this sorta thing but one simple one would just be have everyone get together right before school and trade their name tags. I mean everyone...that would really screw things up.

Or you could just set the building on fire.*

brad cook

*Attn: Do NOT set the building on fire. That's a reference to the movie "Office Space" just in case you haven't seen it. I'm am not condoning destructive or violent practices of any kind.

8. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Does that include a two ton testicle?:D ;)

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    or 400 gallons? With a 12' prehensible member?

10. My school uses an ID system, which is needed in our area, but not scanning. Scanning is just...overly not cool (lack of better word).

IDs are needed to know who should and shouldnt be in the school. Before we used IDs, some students from a rival highschool came in during lunch and started a fight. They knew who they were after and they creamed this guy pretty good. Thats just one of many incidents why we need them.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    .. I've been working for then same company for 3 years and have been happy here. They've just anounced thay will be introducing a similar system - I tendered my resignation as soon as the meeting was over. Others have followed my lead. I've got enough on my plate without having to worry about this sheeet.....

12. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    the whole idea is retarded to put it lightly. Today, this guy who is a student, walks around to my study hall and just comes into the class and asks for something. I heard that this guy was found guilty of like 10 sexual assault charges! that just pisses me off! we have sex offenders running around the school, with IDs and stuff and all, perfectly legit as far as the school goes. That is just wrong. And also, if someone was carrying a gun with them, and had an ID, the staff would regard them as trustworthy, and not be able to tell if they had a gun. All the better to get into some place where a shooting could occur. Nobody would be able to tell if ANYONE had a gun unless searched.

the question is this: where's the common sense?

ok, I could go on forever, but for now, rant off.

13. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Not that I would do this or recommend you to do it, but this sound so dumb to me. If you bring a magnet and get the kids to swipe their cards on it they will not work any more.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, but it does include a pirate monkey.

brad cook

15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Read 1984 and Brave New World lately?

They are only about 24 years behind the prediction.

Welcome to the future.

OG

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yeah, but that ain't exactly what you would call a danger to anyone, now is it, Mr. Cook? ;)

17. Homeland Security Act?

18. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I know it sux, but get used to it.

When you go out to get a job, chances are you may work for a company which has the same system.

I do. Badge (card) has to be in plain view at all times and if you forget it, you have to give the gaurd your driver ID in exchange for a temp card.

And at my place of work we are pretty lucky that we get two cards. One to enter the building and one to get around inside the building.

19. Thanks guys for the help! On friday, we're organizing a massive-vaselineing of our cards. Also, we're gonna get a few people together to act like idiots and take forever in the morning.

The magnet idea is enticing... I was thinking about magnetting the cards of willing participants then complaining about our cards not working assuming. But magnetting the machine... great idea. Do you think magnetting the cards would work? Hmm the machine even as mainbox suggested? Doing it to the machine's risky because it's possible to be seen...

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

1984 was actually written by Orwell about how he already saw the world in 1948 - just switched the last two digits of the date!

So this is nothing new! ;)