this is the first day of the rest of my bass playin' life

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I just got off the phone and I just now scheduled my first ever bass lesson. I'm stoked. I've been going at this alone long enough (over a year) to know that I'd progress a lot faster with a teacher. I've met this guy before and I've heard him play and I want him to be my teacher. AND I can start with him right away because he has a temporary opening that nobody on his waiting list can use because of the time slot - so Weds I get my first lesson. Does anybody have advice on what I should ask or expect or demand of him or anything like that? (don't beat me up if there is another thread I could have searched - I'm excited and wanted to post)
  2. I would just try to converse with him, try to build a little bit of a bond. Maybe not a tight bond but try to get the feeling if you can learn from him. See what he likes to teach.
  3. Oh Man! You will not regret it! He will probably want to hear you play, and then he will ask about what type of music you are interested in, and I assume that if he is good he will start giving you exercizes and music to play and practice in order to build on your interests.

Be SURE that you start reading with him asap! If you don't have it down already you really should start reading. I have made such huge progress by learning how to read ...

Good luck -