Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

this is the LAST blown speaker thread- season finale.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldFartBassMan, Jun 24, 2004.

1. OldFartBassMan

OldFartBassMan

Jun 10, 2004
    Central NJ
    damn, ANOTHER blown speaker thread. 4 in the last 3 monthes? What is it with bass players?

OK. Can we summarize for the next victim (and me)-

1. True/False: It is cheaper to recone a good speaker than
    replace it?

2. True/False: Will reconing replace a blow voice coil? (or
    is it an extra expense)

3. fill in the blanks: The best places to look/link for closeouts, clearances, or sales for bass speakers are:

____________, ___________ and www.avatarspeakers.com

4. True/False: replacing with a non-original speaker MAY result in inefficiency, bad sound and resonance problems with certain cabinets.

Thanks, guys. I found a Bassman cabinet for a great garage sale price, but need to replace both JBL 15's- speaker coils
    are blown.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I can't answer on questions 1,2, or 3. Number 4, yes, you can have major tonal problems if the speaker doesn't matchup like the old one. Every given speaker has set parameters that will tell you what size cab, resonance frequency, and ports or no ports. I won't even get into getting the right length and diameter of port! However, in practical terms, alot of speakers will work pretty well with a given cab. I should also point out it is more critical for the lower bass frequencies than the upper ones.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    1. Generally, yes.

2. Yes. No one puts in a new cone after gluing the old voice coil former onto it. ;)

3. Raw drivers or whole systems?

4. True, but even a non-original driver can be a satisfactory substitute if you are attentive to getting a similar one with the same or reasonably close Thiel-Small parameters.

4. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I replaced the 15" Black Widow in my old Peavey TNT 130 with an Emminence 15" Kappa Pro LF from Avatar. THey were about $60 less than everyone else.