1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This is the weirdest thing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by recreate.me, Oct 23, 2010.

1. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Okay, i had no idea how to search this, but:

I was playing my new road worn precision i bought here, and play the wrong string by accident (oops!) But the open string that was fretted gave me sup bad fret buzz. Heres what happened:

If i fret the 9th fret or the 6Th fret on my E string and pluck the open A, i get really bad fret buzz from the A.

Thats the only time i get ANY fret noise from this bass. I can fret any note on any string and its fine, sounds great, but when i fret those 2, and pluck the other string it buzzes like a tin can with a bee in it.

What the heck ?
    Anything i can do ?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's probably the E string rattling against the frets between where you fretted it and the nut. Dampen the E string between the fretted note and the nut while you pluck the open A and see if the problem is still there. If the buzzing stops, the nut maybe cut too low or there may not be enough relief in the neck.