Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is TOTALLY inexcusable!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Jesica Santillan, 17, received a heart/lung transplant, but still she's expected to die soon. Why? Well, it seems that the doctors neglected to make sure that the organs she received were the correct blood type! :mad: How in the hell do you forget to do the most basic thing before doing an operation like this?! I'm no doctor, but even I knew that you have to match the blood types! Sure, they knew, but they didn't do so. Now she's going to die, but at least the doctors apologized for the "error". :rolleyes:

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    That's shocking! They may also have caused another death - maybe there was someone who could actually have benefited from the heart/lungs she was given!

Such a shame for some so young to lose out over something as simple as blood type!:(

3. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I smell a huge law suite....Stupid people:mad:

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    im sure that makes everything all better for the girl's family...:rolleyes:

bp13

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Wow, there is no excuse for such a basic error.

Edit: Crap, I accidentally used the thumbs up icon instead of thumbs down :( :oops:

6. just do not know what to write. at a lost for words. makes me so angry. sigh:mad:

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    thats terrible.... but its not the first time things like this have happened.. and it won't be the last.... aweful... just aweful

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You know this actually reminded me of a case last year (or maybe just at the end of the year before) when an elderly gent was admitted to a hospital in South Wales to have a diseased kidney removed.

The surgeon managed to remove the healthy one and the man died a few days later.

'Your life in their hands'

9. WOW.....They go through all those years of med school, internships and residencies, and they CANNOT FIGURE THAT OUT?

I made it a point, early in my life to find out the blood types of everyone in my family.

Me and my mother are A+ (that doesn't make me a A+ student unfortunately :( ), My dad is B+ and my brother is either B+ or B-. Either way, I know my brother cannot be an organ or blood donor to me and vice versa, which is the important thing.

Is this right (or is it the other way around)
    AB = universal acceptor
    O = universal donor

I know it is more complicated than this (my mother, who is a nurse, explained the complications to these "equations"), but those basic facts I believe still hold.

AND THERE IS NO DAMN EXCUSE FOR AN INNOCENT PERSON LIKE THAT TO DIE FOR SOME LAZY, INCOMPETENT SURGEONS. :mad:

10. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    It was moronic mistakes like this that led to my brother's death. One nurse forgot to wash his/her hands or clean an instrument before changing his dressings and then forgot to make sure everything was hooked back up properly. I hate it when these things happen. It should never happen, not ever. This is why I am going in to the medical field.

11. Lay down the law (smack with the back of the hand), Jeremy, for ALL OF TALKBASS!

12. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I will do that Chris, you have my word on it.

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Where we are truly diverse is in our reaction to, and how we are afflicted by illnesses and their treatment.

We trust Medical professionals to do right by us, and they mostly do, This incredibly tragic story, and some of the others (stated here) could have been avoided if the caregivers remembered that health care, in all its facets is not "routine".

The last thing professionals of any stripe want to hear is commentary from the "peanut gallery" (however well thought out) as to their job performance.

Thus, (some what cynically, and our lone recourse) the Lawyers get involved.
    The settlements only cover damages, they can't bring anyone back.

14. i saw that in the paper. that's just plain despicable.:mad:

15. What a shame. :(

I wonder if this type of stuff is actually happening more these days, or it's just being reported more? :confused:

BTW, something very similar to this happened to a cousin of mine. She had leukemia and needed a blood transfusion and they wound up giving her a different type blood and she died. :(

Mike

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh yeah, doesnt it take 7 or so odd YEARS to become one? and isn't blood type matching like, kiddy stuff? i mean, a trained monkey can match blood types.

17. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There was recently a big "strike" by doctors somewhere on the east coast (of the USA) protesting high malpractice insurance costs. I hope those doctors and surgeons who stayed home (forcing people who needed urgent medical treatment to travel long distances) were studying.

18. I was just reading about Jesica in the local paper.... very sad. Her mother will likely get compensated in the form of some sort of settlement, but that cannot replace her daughter. I hope some judge makes the idiots responsible pay a very large sum, and (not likely to happen) spend some time in the slammer for negligence causing death (though I don't think Jesica has died yet, the outcome seems inevitable unless she gets a new heart...pronto!).

19. Can you say "Multi-Million dollar lawsuit ??"