Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is VERY impressive...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I know I've posted things about Laurence Cottle before - but if you STILL don't know who he is, (basically a world class jazz bassist from little old Britain) then have a listen to this stream:

http://www.laurencecottle.com/music/media/ram/LC_BigBand-IGotRidovEm.ram

If you don't like your funky-big band Jaco stuff then this might not be for you - but just check out the end bit where he plays a long, long unison line with the whole band - it's scary - and by the way - he wrote the whole arrangement for this tune as well...time to start practicing - or give up...

Have a great weekend

M

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm not a big band fan, but that was still an awesome listen. Very precise fretless playing there.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Urb, Just when I think my CD collection is complete, you go and blow it again!

4. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    DAMN That's TIGHT!!!!! :eek:

Back to the woodshed......

5. Technically great, but it's still no "Liberty City". A little busy and self involved for me.

6. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    a little busy and self involved? interesting opinion but i disagree.and i guess it's a part of the critical process to conpare one piece of music to another for reference but IMO that piece stands on it's own.love the bass solo over the low brass and the tight unison line

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thats awesome Urb, thanks for the link :)

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    That was quite nice, thank you for sharing Mr. Munki.

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the clip. Have been thinking about his playing since we talked about him on Thursday. I'm going to try to get down to see his big band at Ronnie's. Is he still playing Wals?

10. I don't think this was any attempt to copy/immitate 'Liberty City' - I don't know why you think it's 'self-involved' - busy yes - but self involved? Are you implying that this is a 'self-indulgent ' bit of bass? I suppose you could say that technically it shows just how good Laurence is, and maybe it's got a bit too much bass in it, but if I could play this well I think I'd have earned the right to share my chops/musical abilities any way I pleased with the world - I completely understand if you don't like it - that's fine - but this guy and his band are amazing...oh well, there's no pleasing everyone all the time. :meh:

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i got rid of 'em lol [for a rhytmn changes tune]

every band should have a tuba player to play under the bass solos :p

as goldmember would say " toight" [tight]

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, crazy stuff. He can really move. My fingers would be tangled and my tendonitis would be screaming. He's got some talent.

13. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    Urb,

That was and is fantastic! Utter class! As you say,time to practice!

14. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow, that was pretty cool. I don't usually go for big band type stuff, but it was impressive.

15. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    Very very impressive stuff indeed, I'm loving those 2 short solos at the start :cool: mmmmmmm, makes me want a fretless even more :hyper: .

Is this quite similar to the Jaco Pastorius Big Band ? ( I'm a total newbie when it comes to Pastorius ) If so, are there any albums of a similar style to this clip? I already really like big band jazz, hearing a fretless gave it a really cool edge.

thnx

16. The 'Birthday Concert' by Jaco and his Word Of Mouth big band has just been reissued on Warner's last year and it's a really great live recording of a fantastiuc gig. There's some amazing sax playing from Michael Brecker and Bob Mintzer and has Peter Erskine on drums - Jaco plays some killing bass on that - he does one or two solos, which are alright - but his playing on 'Invitation' is just wicked.

This clip of Laurence Cottle's band is similar to Jaco but a lot more 'chops' laden - Cottle is a technical monster who just kills live - so bear this in mind when comparing him to Jaco - there's definitely a big similarity in sound but Cottle can play some stupidly complicated stuff that even Jaco might have struggled with - but that's NOT a slight against the wonderful Mr Pastorius.

visit www.laurencecottle.com for more clips - there's a load there to listen to - he's an incredible bass player and musician.

M

17. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    thanks urb munki :)

I'll look out for that album

18. While there, you might consider purchasing the downloadable CD, "5 Seasons", which has a bunch of great tunes as well... all for $5U.S. (payable via PayPal). I did!

19. Wicked, great work Xavier - I got a copy of that album from Laurence himself a few years ago - (so I'm paying him back by spreading the word on him), he was my first 'celebrity' muso interview. I still listen to '5 Seasons' today - there's some incredible bass playing on there - mainly on fretless 5 - which makes it even more impressive - BUY LAURENCE COTTLE'S MUSIC - sorry, cheap plug...the guy's a, relatively obscure, genius.

Mike