Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is Warr

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nanook, Apr 6, 2001.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    This is my second try to find out about these things. Is this what is being advertised as a touch bass?

So, you don't actually pluck the string? and it looks like maybe you play them in an upright position.

Are there any musical examples of these in Rock music or do the serve other genera?

What about the cost? What about the various models, different functions.

I'm definitely a fish out of water on this one.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Warr Guitar

[​IMG]

www.warrguitars.com

www.google.com finds anything ;)

Quote from their website:

<b><I>Touch-style playing is an innovative art which reaches its full potential on the Artist 8. On one neck you can simultaneously play lead, bass, and rhythm parts. You can play in an upright or horizontal (guitar-style) position. You can use your favorite techniques: tap, pick, strum, pluck, slap, or pop. And, you'll love the 24 fret, four octave range. The possibilities are endless on the Artist 8, allowing you to create your own unique sound</i></b>

[​IMG]

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    JMX, you ever had one of these in your hands?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, I've tried a Chapman stick at the Musikmesse some years ago, but both Warr guitar and Chapman stick are very hard to get in Germany.

Warr apparently will introduce a Warr bass in the near future. Check their website.

BTW: That's not me on that pic, I just found it when I searched Google for 'warr guitar'

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I believe Coyoteboy, a member here, still has his Warr 8 string. Pretty rare to see him around here these days though. He could tell you all about them though.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    What? Um, Yes? I am still here. Hi Angus.

I tried to sell my 8-string Warr Guitar, but decided to give it another try. The instrument is designed toward tap style playing, and although it sounds good plucked, its actually easier to just tap it. Please see Warr guitars website for more info, although it isn't updated very often.

My Warr Guitar (tuned B E A D G C F Bb) has better bass fundamental and clarity than most bass guitars Ive tried out. Just touch a string to the board, and you have this vibrating machine with VERY good sustain, punch and tone. I don't know how Mr Warr does this, but he gets the high range strings to sound sweet and not thin or tinny even when these guitar guage strings are in a 34" scale length. The entire frequency range of this instrument is very balanced and useable.

The difficult part (aside from coordinating your hands) is how to approach playing the thing. I originally thought I would do the two hands/two parts thing like one would do with the 10 and 12 string instruments, but to me the 8-string lends itself to a more "mono" approach where you play a single line with the potential for a very wide pitch range and chordal embellishment.

The price range for an Artist model is in a similar range as some high end basses such as Zon, Lakland, and others. I'm not aware of any Warr "dealers" I think he does the majority of his business direct, as I did.

Last I heard (a good while ago) the Warr Bass was in the works, and if the response of my Warr Guitar is any indication, the tone of the Basses will be really good.

Any other questions, please fire away...

7. FWIW, I have some touch-style resources available at:

http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/tapping/index.html

I don't play my Warr Raptor much. When I first got it, used, it took so long to get the strings ( well, actually, they never came ) that I eventually decided to concentrate on tapping on my bass. I may pick up the raptor again sometime. Thankfully, it wasn't too expensive.

Here's a tiny pic:

[​IMG]

There's a big version one at:

http://www.unpronounceable.com/digital/instruments.html

along with a few of my other instruments ( the Warwick is up for sale! )

- Dave

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Warr definitely makes some nice instruments. They also make a budget line called Austin Douglas Guitars that are stripped down 8 and 10 strings. Trey Gunn is probably the best-known Warr player--he plays with King Crimson and has been involved with most of Robert Fripp's musical projects in the last decade. I saw Trey's band open up for Victor Wooten last year and the sounds that Trey and the other Warr player in the band got were incredible. Trey played an 8 string and the other guy played a 12 string-98% of the time they were tapping, with occasional plucking.
    I also know a guy named Brian Kenney Fresno (from Fresno, CA) who plays a 12 string Warr and does these really mindbending solo shows that mix crazy prog-rock ventures with weird stories and shock-theater tactics--like leaping off the stage and stabbing audience members with rubber knives during his "You've Got to Jump Up and Kill Your Friends" song, all the while holding down a funky bass ostinato with his left hand.
    Witnessing freaks like Brian and Trey has inspired me to order a 10 string Chapman Stick. The aesthetics and ergonomics of the Stick appeal to me more than the Warr, and they're quite a bit cheaper, too. For more information on Sticks and Warrs and all things tappy, go to http://www.touchstyle.com .

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Well, I recon I'm about amazed. Totally speachless.

10. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    jesus christ, why do you need so many damn strings? it hurts my fingers just thinking about playing that

11. Whew!! Is that a bass?

12. Hey man. You got any more info on this Brian Kenny Fresno? This sounds real interesting. I would dig seeing this act!

13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Brian Kenney Fresno plays mainly in the San Francisco Bay area and occasionally does tours of the Pacific northwest--California, Oregon, Washington. Find his site at http://www.attitude.com/users/felix/default.htm . He used to be in this incredible band called E Is For Elephant which is described on his site as "soul destroyingly complex music with nonchalant ease" and having witnessed them live several years ago I can't argue with that description. Definitely from the Zappa/Mothers sector of the galaxy, but with his own loopy personality.

Brian's site has pictures of him from shows he's opened for Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and Allan Holdsworth-he is definitely a world-class musician- who sees the world a little differently than the rest of us! He has a fairly regular gig at the upstairs lounge at the Fillmore Auditorium in San Francisco-I know that he played last time King Crimson was there. Brian also happens to have a song called "That's Who" ('Yngwie F@cking Malmsteen/ That's Who/ That's Who...') that he got to play last time Yngwie Malmsteen played the Fillmore. I've got Brian's "Implatical Leptitude" disc and I'd definitely recommend checking his music out. Unfortunately I wasn't able to locate any MP3's.

Brian's over-the-top intensity and all-over-the-map eclecticism can be annoying to some (my girlfriend hates him) and a concert review on his site noted that he "...came across like a supersize, hyperactive seventh-grade stoner..." but he's definitely one of those edgewalkers that make the world a more interesting place. And isn't that what it's all about?

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Can you set these up with a (relatively) normal string configuration and do the Charlie Hunter thing? Warr seems cheaper than Novax...

15. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Straight 4ths across the board on an 8-string or dual fourths on a 10 or 12, no problem.

16. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    OK, now I see something advertised called a Meguitar. Is that the same as the warr basses.

Can we even call these things basses?

17. Trey Gunn with his Warr:

[​IMG]

JT, eat your heart out! :D

18. Well, why do pianists need so many keys? Touch guitars are instruments that are designed with piano-like range and to be played with two hands, for multiple lines at once on the same instrument.