1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This is WAY too much for a second hand bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
  2. Yeah way too much! Some guys, actually a lot think their merchandise is gold! 800-900 would be fair

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Seller represents:
    You can't even buy 2010 $1800 for 2013 $1800...

Seems to include the case and shipping.

I can't comment on the value since I haven't been tracking the brand. If I thought it was a poor value and I was in the market, I think I just wouldn't buy it.

Running down somebody else's sale seems poor form, IMO.

I've seen the outrageous Ebay item posted for novelty value here, but I can't say this is so far outside 'the norm' that it deserves special mention. YMMV...

4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    The bass guitar was about 1000 bucks when it was for sale NEW... So why did he paid 2400? :eyebrow: :rollno: :scowl:

5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    So ask him...

6. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Why do you even care?

7. The asking price can be whatever they want. What matters is what it actually sells for.

8. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Bingo, although ridiculous prices are funny.
    It isn't a X value until its sold at X value.

9. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Personally, it chaps me when someone tries to take advantage of someone else. YMMV.

10. Shouldn't you be asking him rather than this forum?

Well, the seller probably thinks the item is worth that much. That's his opinion. Whether the world agrees and a sale would take place is another thing. As someone said earlier, some people have an inflated view of the value of things they offer to the public - whether it is an honest opinion or an attempt to take advantage of the uninformed is beside the point. Market forces will dictate whether the sale will materialize or not. If someone bites, caveat emptor.

11. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i thought the prestige models were $2k+ new?

regardless, if it's an insane price, he's wasting his time listing it at all.

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    There is a seat for every butt in this world. There someone out there for this bass.

13. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Yeah the Bolt on versions, like the SR 5006e. The SR 1006 went for about 1000 bucks. Less expensive wood materials.

14. I think he's trying to take advantage of someone. "Selling this at a price that you can't pass up!" LOL! But there's free shipping! :hyper: :rolleyes:

Nice bass though.

15. The seller is doing a buy it now style sale only and accepting best offers. He probably set the selling price higher than he expects to get and will take the best offer. That's what most people do when selling something at a fixed price.

16. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

Mar 19, 2013
    Maybe his wife told him he had too many guitars, so he had to sell some. My buddy did that with one of his motorcycles. After buying a $400,000 boat, he had to put his custom chopper up for sale. His asking price was higher than it was worth, so he kept her happy by putting it up for sale, but kept to keep it because of the large asking price. Genius.

17. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I would say to meself there another few thousands basses for sale on Ebay this month.

And I have a closet full already.

I do think it's a nice looking bass

18. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    " Why do you even care? "

Exactly...and if you look at the ad, he is open to offers. He is no more taking advantage than someone selling a 70's Fender boat anchor with a twisted neck and replaced parts for $ 1500. No one is forcing you to buy it so just move on......

19. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    But he has it listed as a 5006E, of which the 4 string versions were over $2000. So i don't see an issue. Yeah, by TB standards he may be asking too much, but he's still asking less than he claims he paid for it.

20. travhop42

travhop42

Dec 21, 2010
    Texas
    To all of you asking why does the op care; why do you care that it bothers him?

Too many cynical people on here ready to bash every post.

I'm sure I will get bashed for this post.