Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is what happens when you drink and drive

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Feb 7, 2003.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    This is what happened to a girl after she got hit by a drunk driver, and shows that the end result can be worse than death:

WARNING: pictures are somewhat graphic

http://www.expressen.nu/html/bildarkiv/Saburido.htm

So PLEASE dont drink and drive..I know when I get my license in a couple years, I definitely wont.

2. Hmm okkay like i really needed that today....

Merls

3. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    sorry..

I got the link from another forum I go to, and I just wanted to post it as a wakeup call to anyone who even considers drinking and driving..

4. how 'bout just don't drink?

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've already seen the webpage, and it distrubed me so I'm not going to click on it here.

I had a friend who killed his friend a little over a year ago and he died. (burned to death actually, gas spilled onto the engine)

I honestly don't know how people could even think of driving when they are plastered. When I'm drunk, I can barley stand up.

It's a very sad thing. :(

6. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    hmmm...

Mods: If this thread is too disturbing, please go ahead and delete..Im not trying to scare people, Im just showing why you shouldnt drink and drive..

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Erk, thats horrific (sorry if that offensive towards the victim).

It just makes you think really...

My grandad once drunk drove, his journy was only about 1/4 of a mile, and he'd had 2 pints, but the day after he sold his car and never drove again (some kind of jaguar so its told, I was about 5 at the time).

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Burn injuries are horrible.

No disrespect, but the problem with these kinds of campaigns is that they're "too strong".
    People tend to push those things away, in order to not have to think about it. They also can't relate them to their own lives - "that's so horrible it can't possibly happen to me", etc.
    Like all those anti-smoking campaigns with amputated legs and coal-black lungs - it doesn't work.

It's better to make drinking and driving look uncool, like you in the U.S. did with smoking. Seems to work, doesn't it? Whereas in Germany still everybody seems to smoke.

[edited for a typo]

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Word.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, those pictures sure make drinking and driving look uncool to me. REAL uncool.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yes they are. In fact I can't imagine anything that's more uncool.
    But the images also are so disturbing that most people don't want to deal with it [think about it, deal with it, let it sink in etc.] - that was my point.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I hope that driver is in jail now... that is terrible. It's amazing how one moron can ruin a life. But he looks fine... that seems to always be the way they show it to you. The drunk survives. If I ended up like that, I wouldn't want to live. I'm proud of that girls ability to go on. :(

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh my God that is absolutely horrific. And to think how pretty she looked before. Really, though, if it were you, wouldn't you rather have died?

As if I needed another reason not to drink.

While I do see your intention in posting this - maybe it should be taken down?

People, I warn you - if you haven't clicked that link - and you're likely to be disturbed by this sorta thing - DON'T! It will freak you out...

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But on the plus side, at then end she was really starting to look better. God bless doctors, they are amazing people.

15. wow...thats just...:(

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I saw this yesterday... and I was very disturbed.. I had to go do something else to take my mind off of it.. whats worse is that this girl was innocent.. the drunk driver wasn't seriously hurt.. thats just not fair.... 2 friends of mine have died from drinking and driving accidents. Both were hit by a drunk driver... :(

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    damn.:(

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've seen a special on tv about this girl. she's one tough cookie, i'll say.

19. I think that should serve as a wake-up call to all drivers of the dangers of ANY kind of reckless driving.
    it really makes me angry that it's socially acceptable to exceed the speed limit- that you have to watch in your rear view mirror in the distance when you overtake at 70mph on the motorway for some idiot doing 100-plus who'll catch you up in seconds and tailgate you.

I don't think there's much to stop you from ending up a victim as on that page from the recklessness of sober drivers either.

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not if by example it could save others from death.

I personally think everyone of driving age should take a good, long, detailed look at those pictures. That way, next time someone thinks "i've only had two or three, i'll be fine" they might remember what happens.

Too strong? I don't think so. But I think the community service for those convicted of drunk driving should be picking up body parts on the freeway after an accident....