This is what I get for buying El Cheapo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I got a Behringer BX600 Ultrabass amp on December 22nd of last month. It had been playing great until a few days ago...

For some reason, the speaker just started buzzing. I don't know why, but it only happens if I play notes mid-neck, like around the 10-12th frets on any given string. Something to do with the frequency of those notes.

I don't know if I'm able to send it back. I don't know if I want to go through the trouble. I'm not in a band, this was just meant to be an around the house amp. But it still pisses me off. I couldn't really get anything more expensive, I'm a student and I'm broke.

What to do, what to do...
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Where did you buy it? It's less than three weeks old, why would they not take it back? Did you BBQ on it or something?

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If there is a problem with it, send it back. It should have at least a 30 day warrantee on it I would think.
  4. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Yes, take it back immediately if possible. I remember another thread somewhere concerning the Behringer amp having come with an under rated speaker which died early. That could be another possibility. Good luck.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've got one for a year that i use in the house and it functions fine. Only problem I have is the guilt for getting it in the first place after posting about it here. If you're lucky someone will dig up the Behringer thread for ya. I believe it was titled "The cheapest stuff is all I need."
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Whats up dude? A couple of us replied while you were still online last night.

7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The left main out fader on my Behringer mixer died last weekend. I guess it serves me right for going cheap.
  8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I might send it back. I bought it from, I have to check all the information they sent with it.
  9. Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    I've had one since March of '03 and all is well.
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    From FAQ at

"30-day Hassle-Free Money-Back 100%-Satisfaction Guarantee
    Within 30 days of receipt of your shipment, you may return almost any item for almost any reason with no restocking fees or other penalties."

I've purchased a few things from them and had to return only one problems what so ever...

Does the speaker buzz on the same notes played in a different position? The same notes on another bass?
  11. Who cares? The amp started crapping out almost immediately after he took delivery. My pianist is having the same problem with her PA head.
    Return it, and get one of theose ugly '80s Peavey Minx combos. I abused mine (first amp) until the circuit board cracked, then upgraded the speaker and used it as an extension.
  12. Mine has had no problems, so I don't think it's supposed to do that. Send it back, there shouldn't be any questions asked. It's really hit or miss with cheap stuff. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes it falls apart on you. But it's a pretty solid amp and the price is right... better luck next time.
  13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My point was to try to understand whether it's truly the amp that's causing the problem or the bass...perhaps the truss rod needs adjustment, maybe a fret needs attention, maybe someone knocked the bass over and screwed something up...if it only happens on one position of the bass, not with the same notes played elsewhere, it's probably not a problem with the amp.

It would be a shame to pay for return shipping on the amp only to find out that the bass is at fault.
  14. mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    I Agree. Also is your bass Active? When the battery in my emgs dies it tends to sound like a blown speaker.
  15. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    It's been mentioned in another thread I think, but it sounds like you got one of the 50 watt speaker models - Phone Behringer and they'll send you a 100 watt to put in there.