this is what I think

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan2000, Oct 11, 2000.

1. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Being a contra bass and a bass guitarist to. I find too many people changeing there rigs and gear way too much. It's how you play it, that's what matters!
  2. Bassmonster

Mar 24, 2000
    That may be true Bassman2000, but you want your rig to compliment your style of playing. I like to slap/pop and funk, so I would like a rig that compliments my playing. It's a bit hard to explain, but you should at least get a picture of what I'm trying to say. If your happy with the rig you have, that's great!!!! But don't get on other people's case just because they haven't found the rig of their dreams yet.
  3. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I agree, but it's still fun to get new stuff every now and then just for the heck of it. Some people do go overboard though. Some people think that expensive gear will make them a better player, as is the case with lots of other things; especially sports. oh well!!!
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I strongly agree Bassman, but that wound up screwing me up a little bit.

When I first starting playing bass I desperately wanted to learn the instrument and avoid the "gearhead" stigma. I figured, all I needed was a decent bass and amp (all bought at the clerk's suggestion), a good teacher, and time to practice. Well, I was very happy with my plan, and it did great things for my playing. The first 3 years I was playing, I couldn't tell you what a bridge was, an ohm, an active versus passive pickup, or what gauge strings I used. This was really a great thing because I kept my focus on learning to play.

What happened next I wasn't prepared for. Several of my musician friends knew I had just taken up bass a couple of years ago, and knew how focused I was. They were putting together bands and wanted me to try out. Well, since I focused on my technique and playing for awhile, and would occasionally jam with a couple friends, musically I was at a good level to begin playing with them in bands. But...I really paid the price in not having the right gear. I realized my amp was sufficient (even though my bass definitely was) for playing the venues we could play, and that there were some things I needed to learn so that I could buy better equipment. I needed to learn more about amplifiers and basses, just to get to a good sound with the band. I know that isn't always necessary, but in my case it was. I wanted to invest money in a good rig and bass (not to replace mine, but to compliment it) and I had to take crash courses on all sorts of things. I had no knowledge of PA systems, different string gauges, difference in impedance and watts, different kinds of effects, microphones, cables, or truss rods, tuning machines, and the like. So, I can play okay, but I'm really behind on my technical gear knowledge.

If I could do it different, would I? No, not really. Like I said, you make a good point Bassman, but I think that the more you know the better. As long as you don't lose focus. That's why I like this site, because there's a specific forum for pretty much everything. If you are an accomplished technical player, but lack gear knowledge, you can just go right to a gear related forum and learn. This isn't a place where people just sign on and say that this bass sucks, and that one is good, or something like that.

PS. In my attempts to learn as much as I could about gear, the people at this site have been incredibly valuable . Everyone here has taught me more in the last couple months I've been here, than I learned on my own in many years. -
  5. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Thanks for replying guys I do agree with you guys on some points. Buying bass stuff is quite fun. I agree on your not loud enough or don't sound right point of veiw. Espically playing in huge gigs or out side you need really some serious power. Because 100 watt quitar amp is equal to like 400 watts bass (If I remeber correctly).
  6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    This is probably also due to...the number of bass choices out there these days. It's not just a matter of picking out a P or J bass anymore.
    The role of the bass player is also constantly being redefined. People who never had an interest in simple being a band's metronome...are now becoming interested in playing bass.
    For myself....I do find it perplexing)?) that I played ONE trumpet for years....and still cannot seem to find just the right bass for...ME. :)
  7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Also, there is the issue of what we CAN do now. Life is full of decisions. Friends of mine drive $30,000-$35,000 cars or trucks, or pay $1,800 house payments. My car cost $13,000 9 years ago and works for me. Instead of buying new cars every 2 years, I buy basses. I played passive vintage basses for over 20 years, my '64 J cost me $350 as did my 70's T-bird. I make good money and can buy what I want, so I choose to buy beautiful basses with great sound and playability. Could just as easily buy a 2001 Vette, but choose not too (besides, my '69 still stirs my blood) :)
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, but in another thread down the page ("Tobias Basses"), you say you have just bought a new Toby 4 string. Isn't this a bit hypocritical then?

(If you had filled out your profile I might know more where you're coming from, but as it is, the only info I have is from what you have posted)
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario name is Dave and I have GAS ! It started out very innocently. I bought a bass and an amp and all I wanted to do was become a competent player.
    But slowly it happened...I don't even remember how it day I bought another bass then one day another amp. I thought that I was satisfied but soon the craving got stronger and stronger.I needed more strings on my bass, then more power in my amp then more cabinets...more, more , more...I just couldn't stop myself.The downward spiral had started.... the long , dark road to Gear Acquisition Hell!!!!

Then came the deceit - "Oh honey, you bought another bass" my wife would say- the reply " Yes sweetheart, its a cheap little thing called a it on sale for a hundred bucks!!!" My wife replies "Oh...did you buy it at the same shop that, last week, gave you that deal on that new amp? What was it again?" I look at the floor and tell her "It was a bottom of the line amp called an Eden...seventy five bucks...what a steal."

I'm here for help! BassMan, please understand that we are sick people. GAS is contagious. Don't let this happen to you!!!!!
  10. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000

Hey Dave,
    When I got home and brought my fender jazzbass, I said this to my mom "Hey mom, there's a friend in my class sold this bass for only 25 bucks.....:)"
    Well, actually I trade my nike, reebok and two pairs of catterpillars plus 150 bucks for that bass with my friend.
    I guess I won't play basketball anymore hehehhee
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I certainly agree with you BassMan2000, to a certain extent...

With respect to amplifiers, I have a practice amp and a stage rig. I'm actually selling my stage rig because I don't need it right now, and don't know if I will for a very long time. But, that's another story. As far as amps, go, that's all I feel I'll ever need: a practice amp, and if I play with a band again, a big enough rig to handle band situations.

As far as basses goes, I do believe that it's more than just changing gear. As bass guitarists go, we're a wild bunch of kids (well, some aren't so much kids anymore)...It's the nature of the instrument. Guitarists can play vintage instruments and be totally happy. To SOME extent, that's true for bassists as well. But, not totally. That's why we see so many "revolutionary" basses out there!

Plus, we love the aesthetics of the instrument! We're crazy enough to spend hours discussing back and forth the beauty of a vintage-style sunburst, a curly AAAAA maple top, 5 and 7 piece laminated necks, etc!

Certainly, none of us would turn down the opportunity to add ONE more bass to our collection, now, would we??? And, how many discussions we have had regarding favorite this or favorite that...

Not to mention that some basses functionally ARE different than others, and that may necessitate having multiple instruments in our collections.

I myself have but one, a Spector NS-4, which I'm faithful to, and see myself always being. I don't think that I'll sell it or trade it between now and the time I die. I can't see that! But, does that mean that I wouldn't love to add a beautiful Sadowsky with a birds-eye fretboard to my collection?

It's not necessarily about CHANGING my gear as it is a love of the instrument itself. And, that's why I'm all for collecting them!

But, to answer your original question, I do think that my Spector does meet all of my playing needs, and I don't need to switch instruments every 6 months.
  12. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    j3b3R - Hey you got the best of the deal! Not many of your friends want to be Michael Jordan but they all want to be Victor Wooten...right????
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When I was a kid, we had approximately zero money. I couldn't even get $4 to buy the record of the state honor band I performed in a couple years. I made many of my own toys ... like little wind-up thingies made with the spool from some thread, a rubber band and a toothpick. I put myself through college on the G.I. bill after three years in the Marine Corps. Now I'm a senior executive in an engineering company. So I have the means to acquire gear.

I want to buy gear. I like to buy gear. Some day I might even make up for all the gear I never had as a kid. But until then, I'm going to buy some more gear. I'm a better than middling player, but one thing's for sure. I'll never suck because I don't have enough gear. You think YOU have G.A.S.? I laugh out loud. My big problem is finding gear I don't already have. I wander aimlessly through GC, seeking interesting-looking gear that I can use. I've even thought about buying guitars, but only ones that look really cool.

All the gear listed in my profile barely scratches the surface of my gear. If I die, my wife will make a fortune on e-bay, and retire to Hawaii. So don't underestimate the importance of having plenty of gear. That's just how I feel.
  14. Cirrus

Cirrus Guest

Apr 30, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've never really played with anyone that has been addicted to getting new gear. I guess most of my bandmates have been pretty poor and get by with what they can. Sometimes I have to bitch at them just to get new strings. I myself probably buy the most of anyone I know, and I still really don't have that much stuff. I have 2 Peavey Cirrus 4-strings, a SWR Bass 350 amp, Workingman's 4x10 cab, a Hartke 2x10 cab, a Furman power conditioner, and a little cheapo Zoom 506 which has one setting I occasionally use to get a little cleaner slap tone.
    The only thing that's on my "to buy" list right now is a Workingman's 1x15 cab so I can get a little more bottom, and I'll get rid of the cheapo 2x10. The only reason I have 2 Cirrus basses is because I happened to get a really good deal on the second one. Originally I was going to buy something considerably cheaper, but decided I'd splurge and get a backup I felt totally comfortable playing.
    I've kept it simple, relatively inexpensive, and I love the way it sounds. I could go out tomorrow and re-buy my whole setup new for right around $3k. I know guys who have basses that cost twice that who couldn't tell you which is the E string if their lives depended on it. ;)

15. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've got triple GAS. Up until now I have had separate GAS attacks for guitar and bass and feed them both regularly. Now if that weren't enough I recently jumped into the world of home recording and its just like guitar and bass gear....there is absolutlely no end to the money you can spend on this stuff.
    Hey Munjibunga...please tell me that your wife knows the value of your stuff!! If something happens to you I'll cry if I hear she had a garage sale and, say, sold your Lakland for a hundred bucks.Unless ,of course,she sold it to me!!!
  16. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have to say, this gear acquisition stuff seems little different than the acquisitive, consumptive addiction that has characterized American culture in the past 40-50 years. Problem is, there's no end to it. No matter how fancy a car you drive, or how big a house you own, or how nice a bass you play - someone always has something bigger and better that you start longing for.

I'm not innocent of this at all, mind you. I have lots of bass gear (and other stuff) myself. But there should be limits to self-indulgence. There are better things to do with one's money than be excessive. The other thing is: it takes money to fulfill these material longings. Money usually takes *time* to make, and the time we spend making the money could be better used on other pursuits (such as practicing, volunteering, civic duties, family, friends, etc.). I don't mean to be preach-y, because I'm guilty to some degree too. I have the wherewithal to go out and buy literally tons MORE top-notch bass gear, but I try to balance this with other things. I can say, though, that I can make damn decent sounds on a nice Fender P bass I bought for $190 in '77 (really!), and a fretless Jazz I bought for $450 in '96. I certainly would love to try out more expensive basses, but I'm not obsessed with the idea. The most important thing is to make music, and I "bass"ically have what I need. Beyond that gets into the realm of fluff, in my opinion.

To each his/her own, I suppose. I'm just advocating that we not get obsessed about equipment, because there are other things in life we should think about. Okay - I live in a glass house, huh? :)

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I got the best argument I have ever heard on this from Ed Fugua, in another thread. Basically, you can only play one bass at a time and life's too short to spend time playing the second-best bass you find.

But this doesn't mean you can't keep searching - this has been my quest, for the "ultimate bass". I keep looking and finding the one bass that is better than any other I have played before. Each time I find a better bass, I find I don't want to play the previous one I had and really don't have time anyway.

I only find that I am truly comfortable with and know a bass "inside out", after about 6 months of solidly playing it. So I don't have time to keep several basses, so I usually trade basses in for other basses or other gear.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm kind of the same way, Bruce, but I can't bring myself to part with the previously best bass. I try to play each of them periodically to justify their existence, and I'm always surprised at how good they sound in their own unique ways.

DaveB - I don't care how much she sells the stuff for. I'll be dead, you know? So offer her $100 for the Lakland, and tell her I said it was OK. Ask her about my XT-20 ADAT, DA-40, CD burner, PA amps and speakers, and sound boards too. Another $200 will probably cover it.

MikeyD - what's your point?

Cirrus - I notice you own two Cirrus basses, not two Hondos, not two Squiers. Given the means, I think you'd own two Sadowsky's, but that's just my opinion.
  19. Cirrus

Cirrus Guest

Apr 30, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Probably true... If I could get a couple of really nice basses without overextending myself financially, I'm sure I would. The Peaveys do pretty much everything I want to do and do it well. Any other bass I got would be just to have for the sake of having. I don't feel my current basses lack in any way.
    Although, I recently played on a Pedulla that had this crazy green/blue flamed burst finish, with a fretless ebony fingerboard. That was the first bass I've played in a long time that made me consider selling a Cirrus, pulling some money from savings and going to town. :)

20. I have never coveted another man's possessions and never will. If a person has something that I like, I will get my own and leave his to him.

And your description of excessive could possibly be different from my description. In this case, "excessive", for me, means gear acquisition to the point that other personal responsibilities are neglected.

That time I spend making my money allows me to do all of the things you've mentioned PLUS feed, clothe, and house my family and have an active church life. I am not obsessed - I just enjoy a new (to me) musical instrument every once in awhile. With all that is wrong in the American family today, this has to rank so far down as not to even be noticeable. At the same time I'm acquiring a bass from ebay, I'm also acquiring a guitar for my son and cash for my wife from another sale of a bass ;) Like the passions gardeners have for their roses and chefs for their recipes, this is about as benign a hobby as anyone could have.