1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is Why I Can't Have Nice Things

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eJake, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Could be worse. I had a gig bag strap give out when I was walking into a gig. Bass and bag hit the floor. When I got inside, I found this:

12189893_10153387793498432_13962084694978298_n.

2. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Na don't worry man. My AJV isn't nice anymore since I dropped it so I don't have to worry :)

Microbass and eastcoasteddie like this.
  3. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    I have the cheapest gig bag ever that I use to bring my bass to church every Sunday. It's starting to get a hole where a seam is splitting and I keep telling myself that I'll duct tape it when I get around to it. After reading this thread, it's going in the trash when I get home from work. Thanks friends!

wmmj, Pendulous, navijaz and 7 others like this.
  4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Don’t feel badly; that has happened to me as well. In fact, my experience was a bit worse. The shoulder strap became unhooked from the top D ring on the bag, and the bass hit the ground headstock first.

About all you can do is get the best gig bag available. See, there is a GAS aspect, even to this one. I have an older Reunion Blues Cordura bag; and it had sufficient padding that no damage happened to the bass. Breathes sigh of relief.

Stuff happens. Instruments need to be played. You’re good.

Haroldo, Wisebass and eJake like this.
  5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    A bass in a gig bag would take about 7.5 hours to fall the distance of the thickness of the atmosphere (480 km), assuming the bass and bag weighs about 8 kilograms and has about the same air resistance as a skydiver, and assuming that the thickness of the atmosphere is constant (which, of course, it isn’t). Which means that, if it were to fall for a full day, it would have to start somewhere in outer space, so it would probably burn up due to atmospheric friction before it hit the ground. Which would pretty much incinerate a hard case as well. :D

6. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    In my mind there is some very intense choreographed dance moves performed at rehearsal. @Wisebass was probably mid backflip at the time.

2tonic and Wisebass like this.
  7. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Not a luthier by any means, and have never tried this, but I have seen YouTube vid about fixing guitar dents with a soldering iron and a fairly damp, decently thick rag. The steam generated coaxed the dent to return to its original shape. Results were very good.

Seems like one of those things that looks easy but will turn out that there’s really an art to it. - If you could have this done by someone with good skills locally, you might get the dent out. Depending on the nature of the dent and it’s location obviously.

8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi InternetAlias :)

Our drummer was so happy with my new instrument, that he jumped up behind his set…

Don 't ask me how he managed to make his cymbal stand (with the cymbal) fall against my bass :(

I didn 't face him, so i didn 't even see it coming.

It must be some voodoo trick only drummers know? :banghead:

I hope so! :laugh:

Yep! No risk, no fun!!! You just can' t play a bass, that stays in it' s case! :D

william_g_t_shedd_quotes_01.

And I rather "ding" my bass on a gig, than to have it drowned at home in it' s case! :laugh:

03YHS.

greetings

Wise(b)ass

eJake, S-Bigbottom, 2tonic and 2 others like this.
  9. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    That was actually painful to read! Here in Norway, we get plenty of icy sidewalks in winter. In those conditions, I always carry my gig bag on one shoulder only, to avoid landing on the bass if I fall. Makes it doubly important to have a good bag with solid padding and good straps.

Pendulous and Microbass like this.
  10. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    This makes me want to cry...:crying:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  11. Happy Jack

Happy Jack Supporting Member

But carrying your gigbag on a single strap makes you unbalanced and more likely to slip over ...

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  12. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Another reason I have hard cases rather than gig bags. At least it didn't destroy it when it hit the ground.

eJake and bobyoung53 like this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:poop: happens.

OP: sorry for your frustrations.

eJake and Wisebass like this.
  14. taught

taught

Jan 5, 2015
    Hungary
    I read somewhere that motorcycle riders like to say: "Don't dress for the ride, dress for the fall!"

I guess bass players should buy cases by the rule: "Don't buy it for the road, buy it for the drop!"

Pendulous, eJake, S-Bigbottom and 3 others like this.
  15. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Save your tears. It was only a cheap Stagg EUB. I upgraded to an NSD after this.

nbsipics, Engle, 2tonic and 2 others like this.
  16. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I've got a slight ding at the back of the neck, just outside of where my thumb would be at the fifth or sixth fret I think it is on my SR480 that happened a week after I brought it home. I was having a bit too much Tequila, and missed the stand...

Wisebass likes this.
  17. trailer

trailer Thumper Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Guntersville, Al.
    WTH? Please tell me that is the result of a classic drummer bassist battle. Like he threw a cymbal and you blocked it and then impaled him with the head stock....that happens all the time right?

18. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    If nothing serious happened, great! For myself, i dont care too much about dings and dongs. It's an Instrument, it's supposed to be used, and there's not harm in seeing it's been used. Only thing i dont understand is people actually paying for having their Instruments abused haha

taught likes this.
  19. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    That Martin story kills me :crying:

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  20. Lots of stuff happens in 50 years:laugh:. I could go on and on with that sort of stuff but those incidents are the ones that really bothered me when they happened.

Wisebass likes this.