This is why I hate e-bay

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    X-Wire w/ two transmitters

Folks bid stoopid high prices and sellers make out.

Ebay get's paid for the listing and a portion of the final price, then since e-bay owns Pay pal, they get paid again!

It's a no win situation unless you're an e-bay stock holder.

Here's another example

This Crown K2 got NO BIDS the irst time it was auctioned off for $500, but if you click the relisted link , you'll see that now it's selling for over $600. What happened? No one really wanted to pay the lower price? Just beware folks. That's all I'm sayin'.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, wait--it's eBay's fault that people are dumb enough to overbid for something? And, eBay are also at fault for charging a fee for providing a service?

I honestly don't see what you are complaining about.
  3. Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    I see what he's complaining about.
    Although you're right, it's not eBay's fault. If I decide to bid $200 on a $2 item, and pay that amount - that's my problem not Ebay's.

But I can see how it's frustrating - you go on eBay figuring you can get something used for cheap only to find that it goes to someone who's bid significantly more than what it would have cost brand new. The problem isn't how Ebay conducts it's business. The problem is a lot of people just don't do any research before buying.

So I can see why someone would start to "hate" using ebay - it may not be ebay's fault but the result is the same.
  4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Impulse buys and getting locked into a bidding war instead of stopping, pulling back and looking to see if the same item popped up elsewhere is the common cause of this.

When I resort to Ebay to buy something, it is not uncommon for me to bounce back and forth between 3 or more of the same item from other sellers. Everytime I get out bid, I jump ship over to another sellers and bid there, and keep it up until I either win what I want for a fair price, or give up as it is too high and just try again later.
  5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    You're right, I don't hate e-bay, I am deeply depressed at (1)the consistent pattern of people willing to pay more than I'm willing to pay and/or (2) folks that pay more than an item is really worth. I don't know if that makes me cheap or more informed and better off financially because of it.

I take it back. I don't hate e-bay.

Anybody wanna buy a genuine Pet Rock? $4000!! Still in the box!
  6. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    I hear ya.
    I think some people are just addicted to EBAY. They'll bid no matter what the thing is worth just so they get the satisfaction out of winning.....It's no longer fun to Ebay anymore.
    And forget about bidding days in advance. The real bidding takes place 30 seconds before end of auction.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    WRT the X-wire, it's simply a matter of supply and demand. Right now, the supply is finite and small. The demand is very high. People are going to be willing to pay more than the original cost, especially for a NOS piece. I'd even think about it. They're legendary, you know.
  8. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

Well, you'd never believe that I got my x-wire off ebay less than 6 months ago FOR $380.00!!! :D :D
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    After getting caught up in a few bidding wars, (and all of the emotion that surrounds them), early in my e-bay history, I've learned the secret of just bidding once on any item, and then only the maximum that I am willing to pay... If someone wants to pay more than I feel that an item is worth, then they'll end up taking the auction. Simple as that...

Like renfield, I'll scope at least three auctions on an item that catches my fancy... If I'm outbid, there'll be others. I recently picked up a sweet Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz V from an alternate auction after being outbid on the first that I was looking at...

My brother has recently become addicted, (there's no other word for it!!), to e-bay to feed his Laser-Disc obsession... He will bid the lowest possible amount to lead the bidding, and will do this several times before loosing the auction. In the process, he gets increasingly frustrated and irritable... I try feeding him the 'Most you're willing to pay' philosophy, but for now it's falling on deaf ears :rolleyes: Eventually, after he loses a few more 'gotta have' auctions, he'll begin to see the light!

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've been using eBay for over 6 years and I *Always* snipe. I search, I watch, I research and I place a bid of what I want to spend no more then 2 minutes before the end of auction. I never use/hate snipe programs and services... I do it myself.

I've been talking with the Mrs's about starting to sell stupid stuff on eBay. Buy it at the cheap side of retail and list on eBay for the high side of retail.... people bid and buy stuff for more then their local Wal-Mart/Supermarket sell it for daily :meh:

I'm not afraid of taking a negative feedback to get out of an iffy deal with a seller my gut say's 'don't send money to'. I've bought basses, amps, rough gems, jewlery, collectable knives (for the pop-in-law), books, cars, computers, cloths, pens, laser lights, etc

only thing I dislike about eBay is I don't have the cash to get most of the cool crap I track
  11. I love ebay. It's the greatest invention ever!!! Where else can you sell
    stuff you don't want anymore, and people pay you 10 times what you would
    get at a garage sale, and sometimes even more than you paid for it new.

I love to read the local class ads in the newspaper, find good deals on stuff, and
    list it on Ebay.... it helps support my ever growing bass gear habit. :bassist: