Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is why I love Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Last night we played a gig at a big rock club downtown. Halfway through the 3rd song the direct box died so I had no signal to the giant house PA. Now usually I only drag along the 215 cab with me, but this time had had brought both cabs, and I'm glad I did. Rather than stopping to fiddle with gear, we like a smooth set, so I just reached over and turned the amp up to 5 and rocked on.
    Mesa booms! :bassist:

[​IMG]

2. Yeah baby...
    I used to run my 2x15, 2x10RR+1x15EVRR all with my 400+ and it never broke a sweat. What a sound. If you ever blow one of those power tubes you can just yank it out and keep on pumping on 11 cylinders (so to speak.) Handy feature for us working types.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That actually happened with my D180 head. It fried a resistor on the tube circut blowing the tube. I pulled the tube and continued gigging that head every weekend with only 5 tubes in the head for almost a year straight before I finally had Mesa send me a replecement resistor.
    Simply incredible tanks!

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Right on! Totally agree. :D

5. That's a great feature for sure, but it's hardly an original Mesa/Boogie thing. SVTs have had that feature since 1969. :D
    Seriously, the 400+ is a monster, great amp, loud as hell! :bassist:

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I love my Boogies just because they are great. I don't need silly reasons like how reliable they are, how fantastic they sound, how thier customer service is wonderful, how loud they are, etc., etc.:D

I think I am developing a Boogie fetish.

7. I'm LOVING my new Mesa rig!!!

:bassist:

8. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    woah basstriaxis!!!

do you have the entire lovetone pedal collection?!

awesome.

steve

9. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hey guys,

can you give me some advice? some guy in my town is selling a mesa d-180 + diesel 1x15 for $400. i'm thinking that's a pretty good deal and might jump on it, what do you think? i've got two concerns: weight and power. i'm using an swr sm400s right now, is the d-180 significantly heavier? also, how loud do you think the d-180 will be compared to the swr's 500 watts?

steve

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I have 5; the Meatball, Wobulator, Doppleganger, Ringstinger, and "?" Flange. I used to have the Big Cheese, but I sold it off and bought the ZVex Wooly Mammoth instead. They're great.

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I would jump on that if I were you. I'm looking for one of those right now, so I you don't get it, please drop me a line.

The D-180 probably won't be as loud as the SM-500, but it sure will have a much better tone. Good luck!

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sound like wrestinling moves.

brad cook

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So Mesa is the only brand of amp that gets louder when you turn it up?

14. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Hey, I have a Mesa/Boogie love story to tell!

I just dropped my 400+ over five feet onto a solid maple floor.

I was moving my 400+ on top of a Road Ready 4x10 and 1x18, and the whole thing just got away from me. I don't know if there was a dip in the floor or what. I tried to catch it as it fell, but that is like catching 250# of dead weight. The 400+ hit the floor hard enought to bounce. It left some nice scars in the floor where it hit.

I took the tubes out one by one and gave them a physical inspection. All looked good, so back in the amp they went. Powered up the amp, left it in standby for about 10 minutes, turned it fully on, and it worked straight off!

With a little more technical tapping (hittting tubes with a pen while the amp was on) I found one of the preamp tubes went a little microphonic, not too bad for one hell of a fall!

15. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    that's the marketing ploy that got me!-:(
    actually,i just got a 400+ myself.it's my first bass amp.
    my HCBF aquintance didn't even congradulate me,but he's an Eden guy like you.-:D

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Seems to me that all amps should get louder if you turn it up... ;)

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

No, Actually most of the tube amps that I have used do also.

18. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I sencond that on the Mesa Gear! I was Ampeg for a long time but Mesa sound and customer service is # 1 :D

19. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

When I used a vin SVT, I dug it, but if anything went wrong there was no one there to ask, except TBers and repair techs.
    With the Mesa head, there is a company to turn to. And from what I understand, their customer support is stellar!!

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, congratulations then! You could do a lot worse. My first amp was a '65 Bassman 50. BOY did it SUCK!