This.......is why the bass is the greatest instrument on the planet.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neveragain55, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    Watch this guy rip at it, and it all becomes abundantly clear why we play the greatest instrument ever devised.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That was pretty cool :). I like rockin new agey bass stuff... And I want to learn to play with my looper like that, too.

3. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    Super cool right.......I'm telling you we all got it right with this "bass" thing man.....:laugh:

rks and Hi-End Basses like this.
  4. bass12

bass12 Grace under pressure Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I think that guy is a closet guitarist. What he's doing is cool, but it doesn't speak to me on a bass level at all.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    While that guy clearly has chops, I wish that had established some sort of melody....or clear direction. It never really went anywhere for me.

Again, he can totally play. But that was just "sounds" to me and not really "music".

Neat to watch though. Thanks for sharing.

6. Killer Canary

Killer Canary Guest

Aug 27, 2015
    My opinion only, that's 100% music.:)

7. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    Glad you guys like it, and I even respect & appreciate the criticisms about what he's playing or how you feel as it relates to bass.

I view what he's doing as a bassists - as taking the bass out of the doldrums or conventional stuff that we've all heard "forever" and showing us the deeper levels that the bass is capable of.

I guess I'm saying I love the intricacy of what he's doing, and I love the way the bass is responding to his inputs.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss

May 1, 2012
    I think you could give that guy a wooden spoon & a bucket & he'd create a symphony.

PsyDocHill and devnulljp like this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    That's something that I actually liked about it. It was simple. Multi-layered. Meditative. Like old new age music that I kinda miss. No Jaco or Wooten gymnastics going on - not that there's anything wrong with that - but I like the nice groove feel kinda thing sometimes more.

JIO, Misfit Wookiee, ack and 5 others like this.
  10. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    I do similar stuff at coffee houses and wine bars.... Not nearly at that level though:(

Thanks @Neveragain55 for posting that!

11. FlatwoundFunk

FlatwoundFunk

Apr 16, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    +1
    I was thinking the same as I watched it. I honestly couldn't watch the whole thing. He is super skilled. And I acknowledge that it takes a lot of skill to do what he does. But I'm not a fan of solo bass music.

I think that song would rock on an acoustic guitar. Not joking
    FF

12. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Heh... That sounds like the kind of stuff I write on an acoustic guitar. Never thought of transferring it over to bass.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Too Cool For School! :cool:

It reminds me of when I was introduced to the likes of Joe Satriani, Stu Hamm and Robert Fripp. I'm always impressed, and sometimes amazed, when someone showcases what an instrument is capable of when they take it "outside the box". :thumbsup:

PsyDocHill likes this.
  14. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    It's techically impressive, but as something to listen to, not watch, it really doesn't do anything for me at all.

Mr_O'B, andruca and FlatwoundFunk like this.
  15. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    Does anybody think he's little out of tune, I don't like these "piccolo" type of sounds, but nice loop play.

16. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    yes, as some said, more acoustic guitarish than bassy (I too have hardwire delay/looper in my electric guitar pedalboard, while duncan delay, supernatural reverb, but no looper in my bass pedalboard)
    that's the acoustic comparison my mind recalls

a father, a son and a wonderful Robin Williams

Cheers,
    Wallace

17. FlatwoundFunk

FlatwoundFunk

Apr 16, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    Never saw that movie. Gotta check it out. Thanks for that.
    FF

ERIC31 likes this.
  18. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    That bass he plays is hot.

Mr_O'B and pacojas like this.
  19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Yes, he is, but it's tough to do all that looping stuff (IMO anyway) and have everything in perfect tune. That would mean he's have to like set his bass up perfectly or something. Dude obviously likes playing more than tinkering with allen wrenches :).

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    All the layering sacrificed the groove.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021