Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is why you take care of the music store clerk.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by syciprider, Dec 27, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I wanted a 2HH SR5 in black cherryburst as my Christmas/Bday present. So last week I went to my fave music store to see about ordering one. I expressed apprehension about the weight of a 5er so my pusher sells me a regular SR5 for me to "live with" for a few days while he finds me my dual bucker. If it doesn't work out, I just order an SR4 and he will refund the difference. Today he told me that my dream Ray will not be a reality until April :crying:

What he told me next floored me. I can KEEP the 1pup SR5, that he sold for me to try, until APRIL and then turn it in for 100% price credit towards my 2HH SR5. How's that to tide me over?

It simply does not get better than that! :hyper: I gotta take good care of this dude.

The store is GUITAR CENTER. :bassist: @ San Marcos, CA. The clerk's name is Gaetano.

2. I'd get it in writing.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Oh I did.

4. Theres always one good clerk in every GC...

...amougst the 20 other a-holes.

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    San Marcos? Isn't that quite a drive from the "Inland Empire"?
    When I was in Victorville, that's what they called the Victorville, Hesperia, Apple Valley,Adelanto area.
    Oh, and congrats, the GC in La Mesa had two guys who treated me real well.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Dat's but a short 30 mile hop. I live at the 15/215 junction and drive to work in Naval Base 32nd St San Diego everyday.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Makes sense, hope you get good gas milage :)
    I just move here from Santee.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I once had a deal like that happen when I got my Peavey Cirrus 5. I had wanted one bad, but they didn't have one in stock (only had 4 stringers). So I "settled" on a USA Hamer Cruise Bass. I played that for several months, and kept it until they got the right Cirrus in that I wanted (maple/alder). Took it to trade it in, and the clerk gave me exactly what I paid for it against the Cirrus. Granted, I had spent a lot of money there in the past, but I feel he went above and beyond what he would have had to do for me in this case.

He now has his own music store in town, and is becoming an Eden dealer within the next month. Wanna guess where I am going to buy my new rig?? I've already been promised a really good price on my Ampeg rig to trade against a WT-800b and 410XLT. :)

9. yeah not ALL guitar centers have crappy workers. mine is pretty well staffed at least. that's awesome how he made that deal with you.

10. A guitar center in MA gave me a Bleach Blonde LE Thumb BO to use while they repaired my Corvette. I had the thumb for over two months. Needless to say, I didn't want to quite give it back :)

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    There are a few good folks at my local GC.

I haven't seen selection, deals or employees as good as the Arlington store elsewhere in DFW.

At the Fort Worth store I had to educate their 'bass guy' about several gear facts. I don't remember what I had to tell him anymore, but I do remember being horrified picturing this guy as the authority that some teenager might look up to for info.

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I've been dealing w/ the Oklahoma City store over the phone w/ good luck, only accessories though, have you been to the Dallas store, it's close to my daughters work and I have a Monster Cable that needs to go back. I was thinking of dropping in on them next time I'm down there.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Dallas has a couple of stores. I wasn't impressed at any of them.

14. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I havn't really been around my GC, but I know that the bass guy there is pretty nice about things - said he could get me a deal if I was gonna get somethin, but I'd expect that from just about anyone tryin to sell something.

Oh well, if I ever get anythin from GC the I'll have the commission go to him - if I can get a deal (and compared to online, it'll hafta be one helluva deal) :D

15. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I've never been to GC but I do take care of my preferred music store clerks as best I can. In Canada, we have L&M.

I do volunteer work at some entertainment events(comedy festivals, etc) and shoot him some tickets for him and his wife. He doesn't forget that. :)

DCat,

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I've told this story before,but you get the right guy and they'll beat the web,(It also helps if you spend a lot of money), but I told the guy here in Okla. how much I had spent in San Diego and told him he could call and check, he said he believed me and cut me a deal on a Road Ready 4U Rack.
    Music 123 had them for 149.99, I told the guy what I paid for the last one, he laughed very hard and said no way, I asked him if he could do better than 149 and got a stern no. I got the one from GC for $100 + $6 shipping.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've noticed that the Southfield, MI bass section has been revamped and is actually almost tolerable.

I doesn't beat Low Down Sound in Ferndale. But I suppose it's the thought that counts.

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nice deal :) Although I'd be paranoid between now and April that I'd ding the bass or do something to void the deal. You'd see the first SR5 in a bubble wrap finish :)

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The bass never leaves the music room unless it is in a case, nobody touches it but me and I always play naked to protect the finish.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Have you seen that green used American Jazz Deluxe V in the bass room? I covet that bass. Anyway, Jon Schroer is my main man at that GC. He always takes good care of me.