1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This is your brain on Jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kobaia, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
  2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    thats really something man. i think that part of my brain is broken.

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Hold The Presses! Stop Everything!

A study has just been released. It says that when you're improvising, your inhibitions are down and your creativity is way up. That's just groundbreaking!

I'm really glad that people spend lots of research money on stuff like this and this, you know, stuff that really advances the human condition.

4. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    i thought it was a neat article.

5. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    Dude... That article isn't written for musicians. Chill out. The bible article is quite special though...

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Are you kidding me? Who on Earth needs to know that somewhere in the world, there is a Bible that small?

7. Thanks for posting the article. I would like them to do the same study but replace the Jazz with Heavy Metal.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Yea, trying it with different styles of music could be interesting. It would also be interesting to try it with improv comedians.... and politians on the witness stand, any place where the person would have to be making up and processing verbal information.

I'm thinking that the improvising Jazz may not be that different mentally and creatively that making up other things.

Finally, it would be interesting to test the people who were good at Jazz (or any music improv) to see how they did with basic and complex problem solving issues. How does the ability to improvise music or words impact daily tasks?

9. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Improvise words?!?

I find that whole proposition flangmedia!

10. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    Special isn't a compliment...

11. Because things are done to show it can be done. Although, they did minaturise the encyclopedia britanica down to the size of a pin head about 30 years back.

Nanotechnology is a fledgling science, and its heading to improve pretty much everything from electronics to medicine, the two together and everything in between. Its pretty cool, a number of the current projects being researched are so science fiction like its unreal, but its getting there.

Sorry for the rant, just writing my diss on this (almost done, woo!), and wanted to try and feel smart . . . for once :bag:

12. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Um....OK.:D

13. My english bad, typing good not so :p

14. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Its interesting that they pointed out how the same brain activity during improvisation can be linked to lowered inhibitions/lowered social filters. I wonder if there's a correllation between some of our most beloved and famous Jazz musicians and subsequent drug use?

15. Although it is interesting to have the science say it, I think alot of jazz musicians would be able to say thats how it works.

16. i find this interesting and as said above I'd like to see how it works with other types of music... somehow i think verbal improv might be a bit different because if you think about some comedians and people on a witness stand they might be a bit careful of what they say