1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This *IS* your dad's rock & roll

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skel, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I recently discovered that my highschool daughter is listening to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. What? So, I downloaded some really great stuff. ZZ Top (La Grange), Aldo Nova (Life Is Just a Fantasy), Jimi Hendrix (All Along the WatchTower) Foghat (Fool for the City), Mountain (Mississippi Queen), Rush (Tom Sawyer), ELP (Lucky Man), etc.

She LOVES this stuff, and so do her friends. I hated my dad's music, and I assume he hated *his* dad's music, so what is going on here?

2. Led Zep seems to be getting popular among people my age, it is funny seeing people with "brom au yur stomp" and my humps on the same iPod

3. Lower-Than-Low

Lower-Than-Low

Jun 7, 2006
    Canada!
    I think it might be another trend, just like rap got popular, Classic Rock is coming back.
    Maybe there is hope for the musically-uneducated masses?

If it is a trend, its one that I have no problem with.
    Classic Rock for ever:bassist:

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I've noticed it too among my high school friends, and I conjecture that these days, along with the lack of new and good popular music, we teens are turning back to past generations in order to be musically satisfied. There are obviously a lot of us who don't just want to listen to what's on MTV, and seeing as that station pretty much dictates what's "in" and what's accesible, it's becoming more and more popular to dig out of our parents' record collections for the good stuff. I, personally, love classic rock, R&B, funk, jazz, etc, so most of what I listen to is old, which doesn't necessarily say there isn't any good music coming out these days, it's just that I think it's less accesible due to MTV's commanding control of the music industry. On the other hand, sites like myspace do let us find lots of new/cool bands and such, but I really don't have time to sift through all the crap that's on those sites to find anything good.
    -Alex

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I dunno about Led Zeppelin, but Rush is never going to go out of style! :bassist:

6. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Hmmmm interesting. My wife is a piano teacher out of our house. The other day some of her students came up from her studio and were looking at my CD collection. I said all I have is "old man" music, y'know 60s 70s 80s some 90s. They said "That's what we like!" Floored me!

What about Oasis or The Killers or Franz Ferdinand? "Oh, they suck." I told 'em ya HAVE to listen to Mudvayne anyways!!

I liked what my dad played. Woody, Kenton, Miles, Basie, The Duke, Kingston Trio, Seeger, other Woody, etc.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I think it a matter of wanting to hear something different. Everything musicwise is so layered these days with overdubbing and stuff in the background and they may be looking for something more simple. When in doubt, always go back to basics.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    My sister is into Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, and I think even Beattles.

I don't think it's the basics, I think it's that music in those days had real substance whereas music now is so bland...

9. The music industry has gone seriously downhill since the 70's. Back then it was about making good music. Now it's all about money. Money money money money money. Music is so prepackaged nowadays. There is almost no good music coming out right now. My music collection is almost exclusively old stuff like:

Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    AC DC
    Black Sabbath
    Iron Maiden
    old RHCP (Freaky Styley, etc)
    Stanley Clarke
    Weather Report
    P funk
    Tower of Power
    Grandmaster Flash
    Sugarhill Gang

There is some 80's stuff in there, but it's all still pretty old.

Modern music just sucks (for the most part). :meh:

Granted, there is SOME good music coming out now (or recently) . Primus is one good example.

Ironically, my mom is really into modern pop music. Stuff like Justin Timberlake and the like fill her mixes.

Weird.

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    This is unbelievable. They didn't make money back in the '70's? I wasn't paying any attention, but I assumed bands like Led Zep were gazillionaires. I know kids today could write great stuff if they wanted to...even better than the old stuff probably. But if the "money" people start seeing kids downloading enough classic rock, maybe that will spark a new trend in music style/quality.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Substance or bland it really does come down to basics. If you look at history, it seems that roughly 8 to 10 years after every new music fad, everything reverts back to basic rock and roll. It's cyclical.

12. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    This is how it is at my high school too. Classic rock is definately coming back, which is great. As you've said, most music now sucks BIIIGGG time, with some exceptions of course. Do any of you listen to Black Stone Cherry? They have a classic rock vibe, with a heavier sound, I like them a lot. If you haven't heard them check them out man!

13. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    For this theory to be true, time would have to begin in the 1950's.

14. my 14 year old listens to def leppard, queen, thorogood, rush, yngwie, pantera, aerosmith, brian setzer. we are so close because of it. we see concerts all the time together. as a matter of fact this comin tuesday we are goin to go see brian setzer. lets hear it for the classics:hyper:

15. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    I think guitar hero may be helping classic rock out some as well.

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    At 39 I have been accused at various times of being "over the hill" because I didn't like the moment's musical zeitgeist. I didn't like what was popular when I was in high school either, so I never took any of that to heart.

My iPod contains a collection of great music that spans many decades, including a lot of current stuff. My two tween nieces were scrolling through it over Thanksgiving, ooohing and ahhhing. I'm apparently hip, the musical zeitgeist is in pretty okay shape at the moment, and life is good.

:)

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Very doubtful. Young girls don't tend to play games at all and not a whole lot of boys play guitar hero, either. Yet plenty of them listen to classic rock and have been before GH came out.

18. Good or classic music is all about taste. All decades have good and bad material depending on how you look at it.

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    That's my point. It may not be 50's style rock and roll, but it is basic guitar, drums, bass and vocals. Isn't that what happened with Nirvana in the 90's after the glam metal, the NWOBHM and punk in the 80's after disco, Sabbath in the 70's after flower power psychedelia?

20. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    +1

I think it's a "time filter" effect. There's bad music in every decade, just as there's good music. After some time has passed, people stop listening to the bad music from an era, and keep the good... so it can give somewhat of an idealized picture of an era in music.

However, I find that very little of what comes out today holds my interest.