Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This just in: Duran Duran are good! Kickoff today...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Well I just came back from the first concert on Duran Duran's Astronaut tour, held here in Puerto Rico.

Guys, I tell ya, these guys put on quite a show tonight. Everybody sounded great. Forget about them being 40-plus, they still bring it.

John was hard to hear at first because apparently the bass was not at an ideal volume, but once the soundguy corrected it, man, John Taylor was doing his thing like it was 1983!... on a Cirrus for the gearheads. Very solid and groovy indeed, plus he was pumped up and jumping around, getting the crowd going... and then the Rio song with him and the saxophone dueling... da-amn... perfect. Just as I expected from one of my bass heroes.

The band was great... Simon was actually singing better than I thought and again showed why he is such a good frontman. Roger was incredible tonight, very solid. Andy played with a more aggressive sound, I like that.

Well, it loooks like DD is ready for the road. Astronaut may be a rather ho-hum album, but live they can still rock an arena down. It was worth the money and then some.

For those who are wondering: Their set lasted 2 hours, and the band only played 5-6 from the new LP. Tonight there were a couple of ommissions ("Is There Something I Should Know") but then they would need 4 hours to satisfy everybody. They did play "Girls On Film", "Hungry Like the Wolf", "Rio", "Save A Prayer", and "Reflex"... yeah, the usual "make the crowd go seriously nuts" tunes.

The highlight of the night: They had this "Japanese anime style" video I haven't seen before... with DD battling some bad guys and later some Godzilla lookalike. So, how does John Taylor kill the bad guys? Simple, he turns the "bass" knob on the amp up all the way and fires away on his bass...ears explode, mission accomplished... nice, wish I could do that in real life! :p I would f-ing rule the world YEAH.

Anyway, if you are thinking about watching Duran Duran on tour, stop thinking and get the tickets. JMHO.

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    My first album was "Seven and the Ragged Tiger."

ah, memories... :)

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Uh oh, I can hear the wife already bugging the hell out of me for tickets.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I was lucky enough to get tickets for when they did their first reunion US concert in NYC August 2003 @ Webster Hall.
    Webster Hall used to be called the Ritz and was where they played their first US concert back when they started out.
    It was a great show. John used his Aria SB-1000 RI for all the old stuff, and Bernard Edwards old Musicman for one song.
    I think Simon is definitely a better singer now than he was in their heyday, not that he'll be winning any awards ;)
    I agree Astronaut is nothing special. But they're still great live. JT was a HUGE influence on me as a bassplayer, he doesn't have great technique / chops but comes up with interesting bass lines that serve the song and make it sound better at the same time.