Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This just in: File sharing doesn't hurt musicians.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, acting on the premise that artists make most of their money touring and through merchandising than they do with album sales. I can see how that's valid, particularly because people that download music may very well still goto see such and such in concert. Album sales seem to only really help the record company get richer these days. :meh:

That said, regarding smaller labels, I think file sharing absolutely can hurt the artist in some ways, but at the same time, it can help them 'get the word out' pretty sufficiently. Which in turn can help them greatly.

At berklee everyone has a powerbook, every powerbook has iTunes, (nearly) every iTunes library is shared, and programs liked myTunes exist to copy music off people's libraries. I've only been on the berklee dormnet a couple times, but there is always at least 100 libraries on, and most of them have 5-10,000 songs(everyone being a music geek) the berklee dorms have got to be the biggest den of file sharing I've ever seen, cause it's all so compatible and easy. But, they're also a bunch of music dorks who fork over hundreds of dollars when their favorite bands come into town buying tickets and merchandise and all that. So does it cancel their file sharing out? I dunno, but I don't think it hurts the artist as much as people make it out to be in the long run.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Unsurprising.

The Atlantic Monthly published an article saying many of the same things about 5 years ago. Many indie artists and labels also have been big supporters of file-sharing, and I've gotten into many band that I would not have otherwise.

Most of the bands I like get their money through touring and merch, not record sales anyway.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's the small indie labels that are hurt the most by file sharing. When your "best sellers" only move 2-3000 copies, file sharing can kill your label.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    On the other hand, file-sharing allows indie labels to spread their music across the world and get it out. Labels like Asian Man Records have supported file-sharing because it gets their bands music out there. If people like it, then they'll go to the show and buy a cd and maybe a t-shirt. I know I've done that several times.