1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This little amp vs. that little amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lee Barker, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    The project is two guitars (acoustic, sometimes an Epiphone jazzbox), bass (Barker, with flatwounds) and female singer. The genre is, well, anything she likes, and it's a wide range of countryish ballads to some belted stuff and standards. We cook, at times. And the wild card, bluegrass.

Last night she and her husband, a guitarist and computer wonk, showed up with a Bose tower outfit and we are all blown away by the possibilities of this rig in small rooms, restaurants etc. Both guitars will go through it.

I want a Bass Rig of Smallness appropriate to the slap of color I have just applied to your mental canvas.

The rig may also find use in a 300 pu (Praiser Units) church setting.

I like the Mesa Scout but the XLR out issue concerns me (though only for other applications).

I am intrigued by the MarkBass stuff but there are just too many models, too many adjectives, too many roman numerals. Help me here. 500 watts I don't need.

And should I consider a Shuttle, and which one?

As for enclosures that qualify in the lightness category, I have a GK neo 112 and an Accugroove Tri112 and, though they are different, I like them both.

I appreciate in advance your thoughtful recommendations.

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
  3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    An acquaintance had one of the Bose L1 towers and I jammed with him using my GK MBE 112. It was good. It should be plenty for your needs. But if you wanted even more, they are great with the 112 extension cab.

It's not as cool, modern and hip as some of the new stuff. But it's pretty darned good.

4. Markbass TA-501. Small and light, enough power, really, really nice fat but very clean tone. EQ is perfectly voiced, and flexible, and it's the only MB head with the tube compressor- the best compressor I've ever tried. Very neutral. Adds sustain and punch without feeling as if you are swimming with ankle weights. The shizznit.

5. +1.

Ox.

6. Neat basses, BTW. Clever.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Get the bass sub addon for the Bose and you 'could' run direct.

8. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    Thanks for the compliment on the basses.

Keeping score, so far: No one has risen to defend the Scout. I traded my little GK head to one of my sons, and he, like his brother, is taller than me and smarter by a factor of 10. I won't get that one back. Anyway, I'm ready for something differenter.l

I've never had a compressor (well, except the 5hp in the shop) and never felt I needed one, particularly in the sustain dept. Does that change the recommendation?

Onward...

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Ok, ok...I'll do it. Also check out the MarkBass Little Mark II. I think it would excel in an intimate setting like you describe. It's going to be cleaner than the Mesa, but will also be warm and full when you need it (with such limited instrumentation). Its nice and small, so you can throw it in a shoulder bag on the way to the gig.

Also, at 500w, if you're only using one cab, you've got about 300w on tap, which should be about right for what you're doing.

Beyond that, I don't see why you'd need a compressor. Especially in that musical setting. It seems like the perfect place to let the sound breathe naturally.

10. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I'll defend the Scout. It has great tone, and is perfect for small club applications. But if you need pre-eq to the board, it can't do that - at least not without a semi-permanent mod (IIRC).

The LMII / Shuttle and the Scout are TOTALLY different amps, so its really about what you want to sound like.

11. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    One of the groups I work with bought a Bose PAS stick with the bass sub about 2-3 years ago. I tried it early on and was not impressed by the quality of the bass. It sounded like I was playing through a home stereo system - not well defined, muddy on the bottom and I couldn't find an eq setting that helped much. So I went back to my regular workhorse combo, an Eden Nemesis 200 watt 2x10. I never looked back.

Lloyd Howard

12. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    "The LMII / Shuttle and the Scout are TOTALLY different amps, so its really about what you want to sound like."

Great point. I don't know how to describe what I want to sound like, except to say that I want to sound like the instrument at its best played by someone better than me. : )

I have been rehearsing through an SWR WMans 10 and I found it lacking last night. I'd like a little more brightness than that.

So here's my request: Of those three:

Scout (I didn't know about the mod)
    LMII
    Shuttle

Could you give three adjectives for the one(s) you're familiar with?

This is hugely helpful, btw.
    What I will learn here I'll carry right over to FS Amps and Cabs.

13. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I'm a big fan of the Mark Bass Little Mark II ...

Never had a failure in two years now and it has a nice warm tone.

Makes for a small portable rig too ...

BluesHealer.

;) ... You may know the guy playing the bass ... that bass looks kinda familier also

14. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    +1 to the markbass stuff

15. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    My gig is pretty much the same deal. I'd love to try the Bose solution for the smaller rooms.

I've been using a vintage solution; Bassman + EV. It isn't light. I get the whole light thing, but haven't found anything I like enough to get me to ditch the tubes.

16. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    Sounds like you might wanna check into the more common DB stuff. Some of the AI stuff maybe.

17. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    Oh yeah, Kenny, that's the interview that was recorded when you had briefly changed your name to Snyder. Glad you changed it back.

And thanks for the shot of my hero Leo.

Little Mark is making a big mark in this survey. And hooked to a Mojo Sonic p'raps.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Lee, since nobody else has done so, I'll give you adjectives for two of the amps (haven't played the Scout). Pardon the gross generalizations:

LMII: Warm

Shuttle: Clear

I like both of them but I like the LMII better because it sounds closest to a tube amp IMHO. The Shuttle sounds closer to a traditional solid state amp. Sounds great, but the LMII sounds a lot closer to my own tonal goal. Funny thing is, though, it also appeals to a lot of people who hate tube amps as well.

The LMII is a better dollar per watt buy, but Markbass also has a LM 250 for $430 (150/250w). Same preamp with a smaller power amp. I regularly do full band gigs using stage volume with a B-15N so there's no doubt it would cut a guitar/bass duo. Me, I'd just get the LMII, but it's another option.

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I have the Scout, and I believe (and I recall an esteemed TBer saying this, too) that it's the warmest, most tubey non-tube head around. If that's the sound you're after, that's my recommendation. The LMII is cheaper, but in my limited experience with it, it just hasn't floated my boat.

20. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Yeah Leo on the Barker is something to hear

I'll let the upcoming Bass Gear magazine article speak to the attributes of the MOjO Minis ... I'll just say here the combination works well.

:) ... I'll go with Jimmys take on the difference between the MB LM II ans the Shuttle