1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This looks like a pretty good deal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frsbdg, May 9, 2015.

1. frsbdg

frsbdg

Jan 4, 2015
    Anchorage, AK
    Am thinking about getting a second bass, something different from my Squier P-bass. The local Fender shop has a Deluxe Dimension 4-string with ash body and maple neck for $799, which is $50 more than the standard price listed on the Fender web site. Another music shop in town has what looks like the same model (ash/maple) in a 5-string, priced at $699, $100 below the list price. Sounds nice, plays nice, and is $100 less than the 4-string version. What's not to like?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There seems to be a variety of pricing between all these models adding to confusion over why some a $600-$700.00 and some are as much as $1400-$1700.00. I suppose it's parts & choice woods? If it's maple & ash and it's about $700.00, you gotta get it in your hands & see if it works for you.

EDIT: The Deluxe $6-700.00 models appear to be MIM not MIA.
    I have my eye on the American Deluxe V Dimension. Awaiting unplaced inventory to sell before I can buy it.

3. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

A picture is worth a thousand words and a few minutes of actually playing an instrument is worth a thousand pictures. If you don't try it out you'll never know.

frsbdg likes this.
  4. frsbdg

frsbdg

Jan 4, 2015
    Anchorage, AK
    Absolutely. I've played them both. The action was a little high on the 4-string, but it sounded nice. The five string was very easy to play, and sounded good too. I need to do a "search" for discussion threads on the Dimension bass to see what people think of them in general.

5. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I actually think the Mexican Dimensions (with the one pickup) sound better than the two-pickup American ones. I also think that they're made more solidly, from experience. Just make sure yours doesn't have that dreaded dead-spot area on the G (5-7th frets). The 5'er I tried had it more than I'd like, at the 7th, otherwise I would've grabbed it.

frsbdg likes this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    frsbdg likes this.
  7. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

If they seem to be equal in most regards, get the 5 string, you never know when the extra range will come in handy.

frsbdg likes this.