1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This made me think

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by salcott, Apr 24, 2010.

1. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I was asked recently if I thought it was OK for a vegan to use gut strings.

I said "I'll think about it" and went back to my rack of ribs. Still don't have an answer.

2. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Vegans.....gut strings......ribs.....

I dunno....do vegans lay on leather couches?

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    How about basses held together with hide glue?

4. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    Everyone draws their line in a different place when it comes to alleviating some measure of suffering in this world. Personally, after visiting the gamut website and reading the article on how gut strings are made, I'll never put them on a bass I own. And, no, no vegan would either.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    How did you think they were made?

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sort of apropos, at one of the trade shows I attended recently someone was offering leather goods that had been made in India allegedly from cows that had died of natural causes...

7. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    Sorry, mis-leading sentence in my original post. I am quite aware of how they are made, but the detail and pictures on the Gamut site proved a powerful reminder of my own personal objections. I'm glad there's Spiros and Animas.