Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This makes me feel dumb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kLumick, Jul 29, 2004.

1. kLumick

kLumick

Apr 4, 2004
    Ok, I need a new amp bad. I do small gigs, and shows maybe 3 times a year so that isnt a big deal. Its mostly for jamming with my friends and practicing. I cant spend more than $400, it needs to be all in one and have good fat bottom, slap and high tones arent as important to me although i dabble in them sometimes. If you could jsut give me some model names and stuff. im considering buying used too, so just give me the models you think i could find easy used on ebay and other places like music stores

2. I use an ampeg ba-115 that i bought used for 250 for just that kind of thing. it's not all that great for slap kind of stuff but for "good fat bottom" as you put it it's great. That just sounds so wrong haha. I bought mine used for 250, the only drawback is that it weighs about 60 lbs and has a single little strap style handle on the top that probably won't hold up very long, anyone have any suggestions on where to get a higher quality handle?

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    SWR Workingman's 12 or 15

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Yorkville BassMaster XM100C $343.19 on Musiciansfriend.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    A lot of people are big on Peavey as well. The TNT's and such...

6. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I second the Yorkville BassMaster idea. Those things eat Peavey TNTs and Ampeg BA-115s for breakfast. in my opinion anyways. Havent heard the SWR though.

7. I third it, I think it's a pretty good deal. right now I'm negotiating with my parents on getting an XM200 bassmaster

8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Peavey T-Max

Normally Peavey sucks, but this thing is great. You've got two seperated preamps (tube and solid state) a seven band EQ, with low and high shelving, professional DDT speaker compression and an FX loop. 550W at 2 ohms, 4 ohms 350W. I use a Bag End 4.10" of 8 ohms, so I have about 280W. It gives real power!!

In addition to that lots of in- and outputs at the back for a price which easily comes within that 400 dollars. I definitely recommend it, because I always get compliments of my tone. I use slapping, fingerstyle and harmonics as well. Everything what you want. It beats the hell out of SWR.

9. if i had $400 to spend on another amp, i'd buy a nemesis NC-210P combo. you can get those for about $400 or less used.

robb.

10. That's what I'd suggest as well. Not to mention that I've got one posted over in the For Sale forum. Hint, hint. ;)

11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    TNT sounding well??? Come on... I hope you know better then this...

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ampeg B-100R if you prefer a more vintage sound than the BA-115. The BA was a little more modern sounding to me anyhow.

13. I'm curious why you felt the need to post this. The Peavey TNT is a fine combo amp that just happens to fit the kid's stated requirements: an "all in one" combo amp, fat bottom, reasonable price, etc. He can go direct to the PA and use the TNT as a stage monitor (which is what I've been doing lately --- damned convenient.) With this amp he can do a few gigs and practice and jam with his friends. Did you read his post at all?

Lots and LOTS of folks here in the states get started on Peavey gear. Some of us even decide to stick with it after we've become more advanced players. I understand that it's very fashionable to trash Peavey as being "everyman's gear", but I've never understood why something that's reliable, reasonably priced, and sounds good should be subject to ridicule.

You scoff at Peavey while I recommend it. You're entitled to your opinion like I'm entitled to mine. And it's my opinion that perhaps one day you'll wake up see that the emperor has no clothes.

14. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL

eye Barnacle Joe,
    parts ho off of the port bow http://www.partsexpress.com/

BTW, I love my BA115, of course i payed near $600 new, when they first came out, they're cheaper now and some have built in tuners and effects. :rolleyes:

also, peavey is great, i've been playing a fury II for about... jeeze 6years already, its been through a car accident and a coast to coast tour. will i buy somthing better like maybe a warwick or a spector when i have the cash? probabally. but for right now the peavey rocks.

travis

15. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I love my little hartke 120 12" combo amp. They have been around for some time now so finding one at a real good price is pretty easy.

Matt

16. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas

I'll second that. I have a friend who uses a TNT 115. He gets a great tone and his amp is built like a tank. I've got Ampeg gear that I'm quite satisfied with, but if he ever decides to sell his amp, it's mine! (I also have Peavey Micro Bass and Basic 112 that I'm real happy with as well. The right tool for the right job.) The Peavey made in USA equipment is as good as anything out there (probably better built than most) and is great bang for your buck!

17. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Hey, I thought a TNT sounded good too. Of course, I was 14 at the time and it was my first amp.

18. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well people (GeorgiaHonk entre autres), I certainly did read his post! He wants a great amplifier for 400 dollars and I just think he can get better than a TNT combo. As said, somebody mentions the Nemesis combo, which is a great deal as well. Maybe it is due to the fact that I listened to the wrong ones, but I am not really fund of these things.

Don't get me wrong: I did a recommendation of a Peavey T-Max. A totally underestimated amplifier, which even professional people really like. I gigged a few times with it and it impresses me more and more. Deep bottom...clear notes...and so on. I own it myself, so I know where I am talking about after a few years. Knowing that it is US made stuff, things at the secondhand market are sometimes a real bargain. I bought mine (in Europe) for 400 euro and am quite convinced that he can get it for cheaper. They are in combo version too you know ;)

I'm not a guy who only looks at the brand (SWR, Eden..etc..) but listens and hopes to get the right tone he wants. Everyone has his own opinion... I know. :ninja:

Hopefully we'll be on good terms again? Never meant to indulge anyone over here. (Not here... it's always a great TB forum over here!)

19. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Hey De Teng, you were never on bad terms. That's what's so cool about TB. Like you said. "Everyone has his own opinion... " and because of that I've learned a ton. I'm glad I found TB right after I started playing, no telling what level of player I'd be if I hadn't.

I welcome everyone's opinion, as long as you agree with me. :rolleyes: :D :D :D

20. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Alright then... didn't mean to make a bassplayer angry :D

I got a nice one last month:

'Opinions are like assholes, everybody has got one.' (cool or what)