1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This may be a bit on the sacrilege side.... So please forgive me brothers and sisters!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by moe.moe, Jan 23, 2020.

1. moe.moe

moe.moe Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Chicago
    HELP!!!

My beautiful daughter is a huge Brandi Carlile fan! (Folk singer/songwriter).
    So as a gift for having straight A's once again but this time as a junior
    I would like to purchase a decent acoustic guitar as a spring break gift for her when she comes home from college this year.

My mild dilemma, while being a bassist, I really have NO IDEA which a good / decent acoustic guitar brand. I do have "an idea" of which the good quality brands are out there, but I'm planning on only spending $250.00 max and since she's going to be a beginner I figure that amount is fair but would also like to get the most bang for my buck...

So I'm reaching out here on Talkbass hoping that some of you guys out here might be able to steer me in the right direction!

And yeah.... She's not really a bass fan... My bad :(

Thank you all in advance!

Peace!

moe. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Not sacrilegious at all. I’d go with the Yamaha FG800 without question. Amazing guitar for the money.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Dollar for dollar Seagull guitars are a BARGAIN for the quality. If you can find any used Seagull for that price, snag it. They're super nice and some models sold for $400 new. So you can probably find one for that. Good luck either way!

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Great guitar for 200 bucks! :thumbsup:

Datsgor, Grapevine921, MCF and 6 others like this.
  6. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Beat me to it. One of my good friends has been a guitar picker for 50+ years, played all kinds, and loves his Takamine more than anything else he's ever had.

bolophonic and dramatwist like this.
  7. I bought the Yamaha in 3/4 size for my grandson....
    Great value.

8. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Ditto on the Yamaha's. I started on a Yamaha pawn shop special... as in I actually bought it at a pawn shop. One of my favorite acoustics.

dramatwist likes this.
  9. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I bought my grandson a LAG guitar when he turned two. He’s now 8 years old and his hands still aren’t big enough to play it. The LAG loos beautiful and sounds good

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Put some thin electric guitar strings on it to make it easier to fret. I use 8s or 9s.

Good luck!

11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    +1 on the Seagull S6 Cedar. They have a weird little micro-headstock but of the two or three I’ve tried over the years, all felt and sounded quite nice to me.

12. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    +1 on the Seagull and FG800 suggestions. Both are solid options.

FWIW, I would strongly recommend checking out the 70's D-28 style Alvarez listed on Craigslist in your area. That is a quality instrument that is underrated and a fantastic value. I have played quite a few that were just cannons! It's listed for $300, so $250 cash might get it. Either way, it is a ton of guitar for the money-- solid spruce top w/nice rosette, east indian rosewood body (incorrectly listed as mahogany) with zipper-inlay center strip on back, mahogany neck w/bound rosewood fretboard and matching rosewood headstock veneer, etc...

Vintage Alvarez 5066 Acoustic Guitar

00202_iRWtcI08ipx_600x450.jpg
    01515_3bTSvFgXQuv_600x450.jpg
    00202_62a2zXlqdj5_600x450.jpg
    00303_1RcLiYH4gQ9_600x450.jpg

petrus61, retslock, kbakerde and 14 others like this.
  13. SunByrne

SunByrne Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Orangewood Austen is $195 and Orangewoods have been getting a lot of love from various folks in the guitar community... but the Yamaha and Seagull recommendations are also super solid. Traditionally inexpensive acoustics are mostly terrible but lately it seems like that's been changing.

MCF and dramatwist like this.
  14. Seagull is a very good guitar but I believe wider spacing at the nut - could be problematic for smaller hands? The ‘low end’ Yamahas are seriously very good instruments. FG800 is the best value on the market. I used to have a 730 and it was a very good sounding guitar. Another option - the Breedlove import line. Really aesthetically pleasing instruments, with great sound and playability.

dramatwist likes this.
  15. osonu

osonu

Aug 5, 2013
    Las Vegas
    I think I got my Epiphone AJ220 for about that, might have been on sale. The key for me was to try them all- they had about 5-6 on display and this one sounded best. People can't believe what I paid for it when they hear it.

I'm sure she'll love whatever you get her!

Robert B and dramatwist like this.
  16. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Good thought. The Breedlove Atlas is a great value, although it may be a little too pricey for the OP.

dramatwist and richntiff like this.
  17. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have a Seagull, and love it. Would recommend

dramatwist likes this.
  18. Yamaha....check guitar center, especially the close outs

scuzzy and dramatwist like this.
  19. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I love Seagulls as well.
    Very nice guitars, especially for the $$.

I also have a thing for Guild guitars. You can find some killer old vintage guilds that kind of fly under the radar because everyone wants a Gibson or Martin.

Go to a shop and ask one of the guys to play a couple different guitars for you, in your $ range, so you can hear them, and then pick the one that sounds good.

With guitars, they start getting expensive fast, and sometimes that extra money is about decoration... meaning you can get the same exact guitar, just without the mother of Perl inlays for much cheaper.

Also I would spend the money on the guitar and not on one with a built in pickup. The pickup you get at that price is not going to be great anyway. and does she need a pickup? Spend the money on a the best instrument you can, and you can always add a pickup when the time comes... if it comes and that’s what you / she wants to do.

petrus61, retslock and SteveCS like this.
  20. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, erstwhile reed man Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I got my daughter a Yamaha with a solid top for $200, and it's the best $200 I ever spent on an instrument. Really impressive quality, sounds great, plays great, looks decent.