Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This may hurt some classical players....

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Xribble, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Xribble

Xribble

Jan 28, 2003
    Ottawa, Canada
    But I've tried a pickup with the DB and I've tried chorus, distortion....and it sounds great in a 18' bass amp.!!!! :D

I don't know why groups would not have that extra bassness with the effects in thier songs.....confused:

This is real stupid question but, is'nt the DB an octave lower than the standard bass?? :confused:

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    No, double bass is another term for it. It is the same as any upright bass.

And using a DB with effects will get you shot around here ;)

3. This may hurt some classical players....
    But I've tried a pickup with the DB and I've tried chorus, distortion....and it sounds great in a 18' bass amp.!!!!

I`m not 100% sure but I think you can go to Hell for doing something like that....

Dave

4. It used to be that you could get shot for saying "upright bass". See how we have mellowed? (Although I will still track you down if you say "standup bass.")

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Good thing you've all mellowed ;)

yO d00d, eYe pL4y3d a 5t4nD uP b455 Wi7h eFeX and i7 r0x0rs!!!!!!!!1!!!!!11!!11!!

6. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    that's a BIGGG bass amp!!

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    FUNNY.

i rememebr once when i was in college this new music group came in from UCSD and the bass player introduced himself to me. He asked me what i played, and i said i was a bassist. He said, "Cool, do you play electric ?" Meaning amplified Db with effects.

He had a great command of the instrument- he could play his ass off, but most of the music this group played required some sort of electronic modification to the sound of acousic instruments.

It was very good. I appreciate what they/he did.

8. Xribble

Xribble

Jan 28, 2003
    Ottawa, Canada
    Well actually...I knew I was gonna get blown by being somekind of an innovator..... :(

Thou must not be scared of change....

But ya my bass amp is a cheap TKO or something like that...but I love the 18'', especially slapping the electric bass, it sounds just great.

The main reason I'm putting effects to the DB is to :
    1- Play louder
    2- and add minimal effects....(I'm not talking about a MetalZone) :eek:

To add a Floydian effect to the smooth ballad I'm writting...

I'm just surprised that other bands arn't doing this...

9. Well actually...looking at the responses, this hasn't happened.

Sorry, but you don't know enough about your fellow posters to be saying that. One example is the work of Bassrespanse, with our own David K, presented at the ISB convention (you know what that is). 'Effects' is not even in the same league.

Darth noticed what you still haven't: the symbol in your first post indicates your speaker is 18 FEET, not inches. It was viewed as a humorous error.

Finally, maybe effects have in fact been tried and simply found to be a yawner; hence the spotty response.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - it has been done many times before - but the thing is - why bother with the extra effort of transporting and playing a DB, when as soon as you put it through effects etc., then you are making it exactly the same sonically, as a bass guitar .

You want more bass or more volume, just turn up the bass on the amp and wack up the volume. And it's far easier to carry around and play a bass guitar - I'm not suprised at all, that more bands aren't doing it - just common sense!!

Whereas, when you need subtelty and an acoustic tone - then virtually every Jazz bass player I've seen, makes that extra effort - but for bassiness and volume - just use a 5-string BG! :confused:

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm a little gun-shy when it comes to using effects on DB, and I blame it all on an album I bought years ago, by a bassist who I normally love to listen to; Gary Peacock, the album was called "Guamba". The bass was liberally soaked with all sorts of phasing and flanging and glop, and it ruined an otherwise acceptable bunch of music. Bleccchh...
    Have to agree with BLUES MINEFIELD on this one... if I'm dragging the real bass to a gig, I'm gonna be looking for the most faithful acoustic sound I can get. Everything else can be done better on the EUB or slabs.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    why would that hurt anybody?

wanna put some sound samples up and share some of this "innovation"? :) there aren't too many sound samples that get posted down here in standup bass land :eek: - be a real innovator and start a new trend :D

13. Where? OK. I'm coming for you, Turner. Your picture doesn't scare me one bit.

14. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Check out Deadweight. Their cellist plays through distortion, and its one of the coolest, most unique tones I've heard.

I can't wait until I can afford an NS Design EUB. I'll be running that thing through my effects rig (Prunes & Custard :eek: ) and it's gonna tear it up.

15. Last week I put an STANDUP, or "the big electric bass thats not electric" through a butt-metal distortion pedal with a whammy pedal, had it feedback alot and played really fast and bad with a bow. It was alot of fun and it sounded terrible (which was the point because I was playing "grindcore" which is like deathmetal except completely not serious). But dont worry, I mostly play jazz and am trying to learn classical style too.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, don, i always knew you were a standup kind of guy :D.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well this is exactly my point - if I want a "terrible" sound, I can do this very easily with a cheap and very portable bass guitar.

Why on earth, would I want to go to the trouble of dragging along a big, cumbersome and comparatively fragile instrument, that is harder to play? Masochism? ;)

PS - "an STANDUP" is a classic and should be remembered for posterity!! :D

18. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Sounds like you really want an EUB. You'll get a 3/4 string length and you won't have to deal with size, weight or feedback. It'll sound a lot more electric, but that seems to be what you're going for anyway. Check them out.

19. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I disagree that an amplified DB sounds like an electric 5 string BG. The DB sounds much better. You cannot get the same sound with a BG.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Well it depends - if you put it through loads of effects and distortion, than I don't see how you can possibly tell the difference. If you are putting the DB through a high quality amp system and aiming for as "acoustic" a sound as possible, then I probably agree with you.