Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

this may not belong here, but just going to do it anyway.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Feb 25, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have problems with strings since i have acid sweat, and im trying this stuff called string life.

has anyone tried this before>?

www.stringlife.com

so far, i used a set of dr's last night for practice, and they didnt die on me.

2. jamesr

jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    PA
    I would just buy a set of elixir strings. They will last you a long time even if you sweet a lot while playing. And always wipe down your strings after you play.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    been doing the elixir thing for over two years now.

i play with a pick, so they flake towards the bridge. and they last me about 2-3 weeks depending on how much we gig and practice.

if we play two practices and threee gigs in one week, they are usually toast by the next practice the following week. and that is $40 bucks every two weeks or so.

id rather spend 25 on regular strings, and if this coating works, it will save me lots of money.

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Do you wipe your strings after you play?

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ps, i always wipe down my elixirs after im done. i just find if we play a lot. they dont last long. and its not that i sweat a lot, its the acid sweat.

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ughhh.......nature is against you. Good luck man! I heard string life is a decent product, but don't know firsthand.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yes, im trying to find alternate things. im actually waiting to hear back from a herbalist.

hopefully this stuff works. i talked to a few guys who did the research for the product and they all had acid hands.

8. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    no glove no love......wear latex gloves my man.

wassup shawn?

sean

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    latex gloves?

stop being a mo sean.

whats up?

we are recording next week. holla1!!

10. wasn't there an artilce in BP about a cat that wore silk gloves to fight his sweat problem? Etienne Mbappe was his name if i remember correctly. check out his story, he's been using those for years. I have a sweat issue too, my strings go bad after 1-2 gigs. mostly the sweat falling off my head from outta-shape a$$, not directly from my hands.. :smug:

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Do you find the tone so bad after a week or two?

I don't know, but I like the tone of strings that are a bit more broken-in. It helps tame the really-bright sound of my bass and bring out the growl. Though I play fingerstyle/slap most of the time, and very rarely pick up a pick.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i will play a string till it just goes thud, and there is no sustain. which is pretty much the **** end of it. i like them fresh and sometimes i like them a bit broken in. but usually broken in means dead to me.

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    For me, however, it's not yet dead when it's broken in. :p
    It also depends on the bass. My old bass sounded quite dead if the strings were not absolutely new. My Corvette sounds bright with new ones, and slaps/pops wonderfully, and growls very well with broken-in strings, yet it is not dull or dead-sounding, thud-like. Even when I had 7-month-old strings on :eek:

Hmm... maybe the Bright switch or a bit of high-boost can help. Maybe new, brighter p-ups?

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have all the bright switches on. pick ups are stock mia p-bass.

ive always had this problem, on every bass ive owned.