Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This May Seem Dumb....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MunMan, May 29, 2005.

1. MunMan

MunMan

May 29, 2005
    I've only been playing bass for a few months now and I really hate my pickups. Is it possible to install new ones?

P.S.: I didn't want to read all of the threads.

:bassist:

2. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    With your limited knowledge,How do you know its the pickups that you hate?
    What about them do you hate? The color? The size? the smell?
    If you really hate the smell, then by all means YES you can install new ones. :eek:
    Just messing with you. :)

What kind of bass and what about the sound don't you like?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly. Also, are you sure it's not your amp? Or maybe try different strings?

You admit you've only been playing a few months. Don't take this the wrong way, but is it possible it's maybe technique related?
    I know my technique was bad after a few months - still hadn't built up all the muscle strength and dexterity - and so I listen back to recordings from then and I sound absolutely AWFUL. No pickup change would have made me sound good then :)

I mean, if it's not, no problem - you can replace pickups. The specifics of what to do depend on your configuration, but it is possible.
    Also, it would help if you filled in your profile so we could tell what gear you have. With some cheap basses, it isn't always worth upgrading pickups.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Unless you have no interest in learning more than you currently know, I would highly recommend you read pup FAQ and learn to use the TB search.

But the answer is yes.

5. Take your bass down to the local music store and try it through a few amps before you decide to start changing pickups.

6. With the greatest respect, if you can't be bothered to read the threads which already exist and could probably answer your query why would you think people would want to help you? :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh:

Use the search facility and save yourself (and everyone else) a lot of time, OK? :) :) :) :)