Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THIS MAY SOUND STUPID BUT....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by METALHEAD, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Is it posible to tune my 6 sting to EADGBE without making any major alterations to the bass. if so how do i do it??

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Change the strings. Are you planning to start with the low E at the same pitch as the low E on a standard 4 string?

Wulf

3. yea that was the idea. my mate said it might sound cool. what do you think. my 4 string is 21 frets i think and my 6er is 25frets. will i need special strings to stop them breaking and what thickness strings are needed.

4. It may be hard to find strings of a decent gauge to make it work.

5. what would i need. is there a risk i could damage the neck if i try to use to hevey a guage

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What gauge strings are you used to playing? Say you wanted the E string to be 100, my guess is that you'd be looking at something around 100-80-60-40-30-20 - as the strings get thinner, there tends to be a little less distance between the different pitches.

Personally, I'd prefer to stick to tuning in fourths across all the strings - it reminds me that I'm not playing a supersized guitar (and also means patterns can be transferred to any point on the neck without adjustment)!

Wulf

7. i know what you mean with the being able to play any on the strings the same. i can play guitar as well so i think it might be cool. are there any famous people who use the bass tuned like this. is it sensable or is my friend barking up the wrong tree with this idea.
    :confused:

8. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I'd say that if you were planning on strumming chords like a guitar in the lower register, it would be quite muddy. Maybe if they were capo'ed off midway up the fretboard, where the strings would have more tension, it *might* be OK.

9. abit of struming but more picking them im not sure. could sound cool if i play it right if not waste of time energy and money. what would y'all do?

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It seems to me that the main advantage of standard guitar tuning is that it does make a lot of chord shapes relatively simple when you're using five or six strings at once.

However, take that down an octave and calculate the effects of the larger dimensions and you're probably not going to be playing a lot of six string barre chords - it would take large, strong hands and produce a muddy sound. Go back to three or four note chords and I don't think guitar tuning gives you that much advantage over sticking to 4ths across the neck.

There's definitely a certain sweetness about thin strings on bass - I love the high C on my six string and would probably make use of the F above that if I had one. On the other, do you never feel the urge to go below the low E?

Finally, another thought on strings - look for a high seven string set (B-F) and just ignore the low B. Those strings should certainly cope if you want to tune the top two down half a step to give you EADGBE and will also work if you want to use 4ths. Get a heavy set and you could probably even get them to work tuned to DGCF(BbEb/AD)!

Wulf

11. thanks i think i might give it a go.

12. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    One problem you might run into though... switching each string to a smaller guage (like using a .110 where there would normally be a .135 or something) you might have a problem with your nut slots being too big for the smaller strings and you might get some buzz.

In the case of this, you can have a new nut blank slotted at a local shop that will better fit your strings.

Also, some bass pickups are weak sounding on higher strings, such as the high C on some 6-strings. If you go with EADGBE, that high E might not come through very strong depending on the pickups in your bass. This shouldn't be a real big problem, but it's something to consider.

Jake

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Fender Bass VI, built in the '60s, was tuned that way. Jack Bruce played one, among others. They were short scale.

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/fender_bass_vi.html

14. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I think Danelectro makes one too, with really tight string spacing.

Jake

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You can probably tune the Silhouette baritone guitar like that too.