Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This might be a stupid question.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Nov 30, 2004.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    But could someone tell me why my 400+ has so many outputs? I understand impedance. But I thought that lets say you have two 8 ohm cabs, you plug one cab into the output of the other, and then that cab into the 4 ohm output of the amp. That is how its done, isn't it? Why does the 400+ have pairs of 2, 4, and 8 ohm outputs. I know why it has the 2, 4, and 8 ohm outputs, its the pairs that i'm asking about. Aren't you only supposed to use 1 output at a time? thanks.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Most amps, even solid state amps, offer two output jacks. The 400 just gives you additional choices for impedance.

3. From what I've read...you're supposed to use the output jacks that correspond to your total load. ie: if you are using two 8 ohm cabinets, you plug each into the 4 ohm jacks....I think. This amp, like the SVT, was designed to run two 4 ohm cabinets (probably 8x10's), and since many cabinets can't be daisy-chained (only one jack on the box) there needs to be enough outputs on the amp.

I only use one 4 ohm cabinet, so I plug into the 4 ohm jack.

4. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    Nah...you just have to remember. There's no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people asking questions! :D

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    is there an impedance selector switch on the 400+????
    there should be as it is a tube amp and it needs to be selected for the impedance you're using with it to prevent damage to the amp. I'm wondering if the switch also connects the correct jacks on the amp, or if the amp switches the impedance it "expects" based upon which output jacks are used. I dunno, but i'd be interested to find out.

6. No selector switch, but there's 6 speaker jacks, 2 of each for 2, 4, and 8 ohms.