Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

this might sound weird but......

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by METALHEAD, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Can you use a gutiar slide on a bass and what would it sound like...

anyone out there use one or is it not the done thing?

2. Ive done it is an experiment, doesnt sound very good, fretless' sound better.

3. I've seen Pete Steele of Type O Negative use a beer bottle for a bass slide at a few shows. Pretty interesting :) Try it yourself, get any glass or other smooth object like a bottle and just run it up and down your fretboard as you play. A cigarette lighter works well in a pinch (on guitar anyway).

4. thanks. i think ive got a slide somewhere.

are there anyother famous people who use this technique?

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Not many, probably because it plain doesn't sound good most of the time. You'll loose most of the punch and thump that is the heart of most bass lines.

It sounds kind of nifty when messing around on your own, I've never found it useful in a band context.

6. I've seen stephan lessard (dave matthews band) use one briefly in a solo at the start of 'Two Step' i think. he was doing the whole forth harmony with it on his six string warwick. I'd suggest using one of those clear plastic ones as opposed to a brass one or anything else, and you'll also probably wanna wind some treble out. Nobody likes listening to a screaming baby. :D

7. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Jeez, did everyone forget about Morphine? They were great, he sounded good, played only with a slide on a two string bass.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I have recording of Chris Wood playing a slide solo in Cissy Strut, performing The Unity Jam show.

9. Sad day when this many posts go by without Morphine coming up. Cure For Pain, MUST OWN!

10. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Evanston, IL
    same deal as a guitar or dobro....ive done it but it sounds liek crap with low action, you have to be carefull or else the frets will get in the way...try it out, cheap slides are available anywhere...

11. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    You will need to find a pretty heavy slide to do it right. Density of the slide is a factor. Also you know how to mute when using a slide so you don't get noise behind the slide and note comes out cleaner. Then higher action.

All said I think it would be interesting for a few seconds. I'd stick to fretless.

12. the bass player from floater used to use a screwdriver