Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This monday I'm going to my local guitar shop...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I currently own a new Rickenbacker 4003 Jetglo. Anyways, I'm going down to my local guitar shop (Performance Music Center in Woburn, MA), to do a few things.. First, I need to get the decorative horseshoe removed, it pisses me off. Secondly, I'm getting a new E string. The bass came with a .105, and that's a little too thick for me and produces an awkward sound.. I'm thinking of going for .95 or .100. Thirdly, I'm going to get the truss rods adjusted slightly. And fourthly, I'm going to get a new bridge.. I'm currently leaning towards a Badass II. Why? I'm slightly unhappy with the current standard bridge. You can't adjust individual string height, and the saddles are aluminum and can ware down over time. Also, I'm a rush fan :p, so if it's good enough for Geddy, it's good enough for me. Should I or should I not get the badass? I know they will have to drill new holes which would decrease the resale value, but I would never sell this bass.

2. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I think you answered your own question! If you are never going to sell it (by the way, that is a big commitment to make!), then go ahead and change the bridge. However, I am not familiar with ricks. Do other manufactures make replacement bridges for ricks? Hopefully you would be able to find a bridge replacement that fits so you don't have to drill extra holes!

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

If you like Geddy, you might want to play a Fender Jazz model like his while you're there. It already has the badass, plays great. It's the model bass he uses now and the type used to record the Moving Pictures album

Rob

4. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    The thing is, I kinda doubt that the Geddy Lee model you'd buy in a store is the EXACT same thing that Geddy Lee himself plays. I mean c'mon--you're in the most talented rock group in the world...you'd probably pay a little more than $700 for your main bass that some punk kid could pick up from Guitar Center.

--Matthew

5. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Amen

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I feel the Ric is the true Geddy Lee bass. It just has the original sound from the original albums like 2112 and stuff. I played the Geddy Bass and was going to buy it, but then I played a Ric. The Geddy bass is an imitation, no matter how good it is. It's also factory made. The Ric is a Ric, and hand made. Plus, I found a Ric (with hardcase) new for $989.00...

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

I wasn't implying that Geddy plays a bass that you can buy at Guitar Center. What I was suggesting was that Geddy has played a number of different basses and he might want to try a few different ones before he goes and alters his present bass. I hope he didn't take offense to you calling him a punk. BTW, the jazz he uses was an off the wall '73 with a badass later installed, not a custom made 3K bass

Rob

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It was a 74.... Oh my god, I'm a Rush freak.. *hangs self*