This must be a record- been kicked out of a band...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ...after two weeks.

Some people here will remember that a couple of weeks ago I reported that I finally managed to get into a band.

Yesterday I checked my emails to see if there was anything important. I noticed an email from this band's rhythm guitarist, and I was thinking 'hang on, that's weird, they never usually email me'. So I read it and it turns out that they have decided to get rid of me.

Now ordinarily this wouldn't be a big deal but if for the following:

1. When I went to that first audition, I'd heard literally TWO songs of a 40+ song list they'd all written. Both of which were terrible quality (so I didn't know what I was listening to) and that were the only songs that they'd actually recorded.

2. I asked the band for some chord sheets, so that I could at least look at the songs away from band and the demo tapes. I asked this since the first audition. Guess what I got? One song's chord sheet, written in jibberish, and which made no sense. It basically said 'this songs chords are X, Y and Z'. Which is no good considering this song isn't one that was on the demo tapes and wasn't one they'd done in the rehearsals I'd been at, and so I didn't even know what this song was supposed to have sounded like.

3. This band seemed chronically dis-organised. There was no schedule of songs for each practice, and so it resulted in the longer-standing band members wasting time noodling about and yattering about stuff, whilst I sat in the corner not having a clue what was going on.
    Also, given that studio time is c.$25 an hour, and we were doing 3hr practices, it was an incredible waste of my time to be sat around not actually playing. I paid roughly $40 over two weeks for the pleasure of this mess.

I'm tempted to fly off the handle and have a go at these band members for this. :spit::spit::spit::spit:

Anyone got any advice, something that's going to make me feel better about this whole mess?

2. Give em a good rubdown with some fiberglass. Theyll be super annoyed until they can find a shower.

3. Go listen to some Steve Howe.

4. Crappy charts?
    CHRONICALLY disorganized?
    NOODLING?
    .... stay away from them.

5. :D Haha!

Although given my present mood, napalm would be more fun.

6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Putting it in their shoes works way better.

7. :D
    Already doing so!

As I say, I asked for charts, didn't get them. Then I spent band practices studying the wall fan.

8. Being in a bands are like guys with girls.

Cool, collected guys don't stay in dis-functional relationships.
    Desparate guys cling onto the first girl that gives them an opening.

You're above that band of disfunction. They're peak will be low.

9. From what I can tell, they were pretty desperate. Given that they'd lost a good singer because of some drama and then didn't have a bassist after a good period of time, something's wrong.

10. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    General advice I give in these kind of situations: walk away, don't look back, don't give them a second more of your time or a drop more of your mental energy. If they're not prepared to handle this stuff face-to-face like adults they aren't worth your time.

11. Methinks I'll just send 'em an email thanking them and then get on with the gig (literally).

:bassist:

12. You didnt get fired; your just exaserbated your quitting the band

13. I'm not. I'm speaking as I see it. And what I saw wasn't anything I liked.

I got kicked out. End of.

14. Awww, c'mon; "being organised" is a fascist mind-control concept. :)

15. lol :D

16. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    My band and I went through so many ******* guitar auditions before we fond one, out of 10+, that had a bit of funk and a great personality. Don't waste time on jerks...Not Worth It no matter the talent! You wouldn't believe how make guitarist replied to a funk guitar needed ad with zero intention of playing funk, all but two! To many jerks out there to waste any time once you get a taste of there crap.

At least you didn't waste 3 weeks, or 4, could have been worse.

17. Something similar happened to me actually. My original intention was to set up a Level 42 tribute band and that's the advert these guys read and responded to, asking me to join them, even though it was obvious I wanted to play jazz-funk, not indie as their band is, and even then, not on the bass but the drums.

Makes you wonder whether people actually read adverts before replying.

18. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    I think guitarists hear funk bass and think that just means good bass, in some ways it can, but not that we will be content playing the route note over some silly alt rock chord progression, WE WANT RHYTHM!!!!

If you are specific in what you want I say put an ad out for a drummer first (or bassist if you want to drum). At least you have some one to jam with while you wait for everything to come together, plus jazz-funk requires a tight rhythm section right? But what do I know, my drummer was my best friend long before we decided to play in a funk band.

Also, if the band can't hold on to people it has nothing to do with you.

19. I'm tempted to see if I can rope some of my fellow worship musicians at church to jam with me. Might attract some fun peeps.

20. peeps.thumbnail.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021