This ok for my first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snaaaake, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Snaaaake

Mar 23, 2005
    Hey guys,

I've been interested in buying myself a bass for a while now and when searching around I found this:

So would that be suitable for a n00b? When I got my guitar a few years back I made the mistake of buying the cheapest one I could find and don't really want to make that same mistake again, hence this being a bit more expensive. It would only be for messing around in my bedroom and maybe sometimes playing with a few friends.

So any opinions atall? :bassist:
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hm well...I started 2 years ago, and I've been using only one bass. My Squier Affinity P-bass. I love that thing. It cost maybe 250 CDN? I dunno. my mom bought it. But those basses are great. If it's your first Bass. but you play guitar, upgrade to a fender or soemthing. Thats my preferance. If you like that style that you showed up, for for an Ibanez, you can get some cheap ones, or even a soundgear. Good roar to them.

3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, it'd help more to know what your budget is, and what style of music you're going to play... but in general...
    That amp wont cut much at all, 20W wont get you far at all, especially in jam situations. I've personally never heard of Stagg, so you may want to check harmony central and see what people have to say about it...
    What you may want to do, is save up some money, buy an SX from the likes of, and a bigger combo, or even a head/cab setup (as combos seem to be getting less and less liked around these parts...). If you know you'll be in it for the long run, go head/cab, as it'll save ya. You may also want to check the used market and just see what's out there... MIM fenders, Ibanez and such are all good places to start.
    Last and certainly not least, welcome to TB! The best place in the world.

Ray :smug:
  4. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    What bass is linked? .uk sites are filtered out on the proxy here.
  5. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    it's like a GSR200 from Ibanez, but cheaper (if that's possible). And some crappy 20W combo.
  6. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Stagg makes an OK bass, but even if money was tight, I wouldn't buy one. As for Squire, stay FAR away. They're nothing but loose necks and pots that keep cutting out. And I've never even heard of Westfield, but at £69, they can only be trouble.

If I may make a suggestion, go with the Ibanez. Sure, it's £50 more than the Stagg, but it's well worth it! There's also the Yamaha in the Basses section. It's not a package deal, but as a note, they also make an incredible bass.

Another suggestion... the best thing to do is to visit a local sound shop. See if they have Ibanez or Stagg basses you can try out for yourself.
  7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Sorry man, I Have to disagree. I've been playing my squier for 2 years. I had to replace the pickguard, and i Had it rewired. But the neck or pots have never gone bad on me. I guess I just struck gold with this bass. I guess there are some crappy, some good.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd personally stay away from Stagg. They're very cheap, entry level instruments that in more cases than not, would turn a newbie away from the art of bass playing. Once, I made the mistake of buying a large quantity of Stagg drumsticks cheap, figuring a stick is a stick. Boy was I wrong, break one or two every week and I hardly play.

I would recommend an Ibanez pass pack, the basses are solid, sound good and you'll keep it for years after you've outgrown it (many do some mods, but it's too good to get rid of) and the amp is pretty decent. Can never go wrong starting with an Ibanez.
  9. bass101

Mar 23, 2005
    Lots of good suggestions so far. You really can't go wrong with an Ibanez. My suggestion is stay away, for now, from e-bay. If you don't know what your buying (neck size, etc.) don't buy one sight unseen. I would go to at least a couple local guitar shops and play all that are in your price range. PV, Ibanez, OLP, Treban, etc. all make decent entry level basses. Beware, not all will play well. :eyebrow: Some lower end basses are decent some are junk. Even two basses that are the same make, model, color, etc. will feel totally different.

Hope that helps.

New to TB. Hope to talk to you guys alot more. :hyper:

10. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Some really excellent points in this thread. I am a firm believer in buying used. You can save alot of money and can end up with a great deal. You can also end up with a crap bass if you are not careful. I would try out several models at your local music shops and then either try and talk the salesperson down or look for a similar model online.

Good luck and let us know how the hunt goes.
  11. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Ahh! A good point! There is NOTHING wrong with buying used. You can score some pretty good deals this way. Check local shops, newspaper classifieds, etc. If you buy used, though, do a lot of research first. I've been scammed a number of times.
  12. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I had that exact same Stagg, except in sunburst. I'd say it was a POS, but that would be a compliment. I hope that says something about the bass.
  13. I'd go for an OLP Musicman style bass. I have one I use for practice & it plays great & doesn't feel cheap at all. Also later on if you like it, the electronics can be upgraded.
  14. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    OLP does make a nice bass. Very Musicman-ish at a great price. But of the bass packages from that site, I'd go Ibanez.