1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This old bass sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eoinwalsh, Jan 15, 2012.

1. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
  2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Sounds like a Jazz Bass to me.

3. I love that album. Always thought that one could easily be a keyboard - one manual of a hammond organ perhaps?

4. Sorry, misread that - yeah after the 2:00 mark there is an electric bass. Agreed, could be a jazz.

5. Really? Only if I roll the tone off and run one pickup maybe. If its a jazz its in "dub" mode, ie., electronically modded to make it sound like its a key board, or.... its a board with a bass in for a few bars?

6. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Really? I've never heard a jazz bass sound like that.

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    its a combination of the bass tone, and the way he plays that change with his fingers. Its not really slaping but he is giving it a little progressive tap with his fingers.

Sounds like he hits a phaser on and off to get the phaser to sweep in time for the change. or its just a envelope follower on a lighter setting with the filter range in a lower spot, most likely a mutron or EH phaser.

could be any bass or amp, i will only guess its a P or J going in a tube type amp of the time, fender sunn ampeg etc.

8. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Thanks.

It must be something to do with the strings though, right? I'm talking specifically only about those two popped notes he plays.