Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This one for Rickenbacker players/lovers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joerosen, Sep 10, 2004.

1. joerosen

joerosen

Jan 30, 2002
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    After several years of RIC playing, I found out thatis very hard to fit finger style with both pickups combined, but sounds great on each pickup by itself. A pick at the other hand will fit just fine with both ot them.
    How about you? do you use pick or fingers, and what pickup configiration?

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I'm not sure I understand your question/problem but here goes.
    I ALWAYS use a pick(been playing since 1976), 90% of the time I rest my hand on the pickup cover/horseshoes and pick between the pickups with both pickups on. For more edge I choose just the treble pickup and play between it and the bridge.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I always use fingerstyle on my ric, and it's usually 100% or 75% bridge pickup.. I love that thing (minus the hum)

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    80% pick with my Rickenbacker. It just sounds and feels better for me.

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    fingers, both full on except bridge tone at 50%.

marshall

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    when I had mine in the late 80's I was 80% finger 20% slap and 100% bridge pickup soloed. I used "Ultralight" Rotosounds .090 E and had a brass nut cut to take the little strings.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I seldom use the neck pickup. I have a Bartolini mute compartment pickup in place of the mute contraption, and I switch that on when I want some extra hifi-ish zing. Most of the time it's the regular bridge pickup soloed. I'm all fingers and thumbs; I play guitar fine with a pick, but playing a bass with a pick feels weird to me.

8. 80% pick player here.

Usually use the bridge pickup...but from time to time i go to the neck.

9. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    100% finger style, 80% bridge pup with tone about half way for a fat bassy tone, the rest of the time neck pup with tone way up for a crunchy tone, especially when I play some Rush... :cool:

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    90% with a pick here... I mostly use both pickups with volume and tone wide open. For quieter stuff, I might go to
    the neck pickup and roll back the tone about 1/4 turn.

Slug

11. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    in fingerstyle 100% bridge and 80% neck pickup, cutting a bit the highs, i like also both the tones of the single pickups...
    with a pick, whatever you use, bridge, neck or both, it will kick asses

12. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    Both pick-ups full on
    Thumb rested at base of neck, index and middle plucking over neck pick-up - its the most comfortable position I've found :bassist:

13. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Both pups full up fingers only,though I plan to use it almost exclusively for picking once I get my project bass put together.My project bass is being designed as a rollplayer with '51 P-bass Quarterpounder,flatwounds,and BEAD tuning.

14. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    100% fingers and thumb. (pick?! why?!) i solo both pickups on my 4001 with all tone controls all the way down and Rotosound flats. Does anyone know how to use that blasted rick-o-sound output? i know you need like a special box thing, but what does it do? when i plug in there i only get my bridge pickup, so i think the wiring is wrong.

15. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I'm going to borrow a line from one of my favourite actors here, "Captain, that's all she can take, she just won't take anymore".

You may be able to tell from the pic below, that I play my 4001 with both pickups on and full out. The tone controls are also wide open for maximum growl.

No picks ALLOWED!

[​IMG]

TD