Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This one got played....(pic)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wilder, May 12, 2004.

1. wilder

wilder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Denton, TX.
    [​IMG]

70 Jazz and 66 Bassman (used more for guitar than bass). I just got the bass. It's hard for me to imagine playing the same instrument long enough to put this kind of playing wear on it....but I'd like to.

Chris

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    thats my dream...to find a bass i love so much, as to have it for my whole life, so that when im old old old, itll look like that :)

3. yeh, altho I had help "wearing down" the finish on my '76 Grabber's neck, it's really looking smashing :)

nice bass!! :cool:

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Very nice bass! First thing you have to do with it is line up the strings over the pole pieces. ;) Actually thos old Fender finishes are quite easy to wear off. A challenge would be to make a new one wear out like that! :bassist:

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    A friend of mine has one I want to post some pics of. Extremely worn! The neck has 2 indentions about 1/4'' deep from his thumb wearing it down.

6. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Even the not-so-old ones come off. After seven or eight years, I'd played my 77 P-Bass so much I wore the finish off where I'd rest my right arm. It was that super thick natural finish, too. It went into semi-retirement a couple of years ago, but it's like a favorite, sexy ex-girlfriend when I pick it up again....

7. the wear spots just above the edge of the pickguard used to puzzle me-
    I suppose it's from players stuffing picks under the edge?

8. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I'm working on getting my bass like that, it's a DeArmond Pilot DLX I've had for a couple of years now, got a dark patch where my thumb goes and is all scratched up where I pop badly. I don't EVER plan to sell it and have no need for another bass ('cept the same again to defret ;)).

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    that is sweet.

I love old basses and guitars like an old stay at home mom likes wine.

10. Interesting - I hated that finish

11. wilder

wilder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Denton, TX.
    I need to spend some more time with this one to get used to it. I've actually never owned a J-Bass before so the neck taper is slightly odd for me. I does sound tremendous.

Chris

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I can't wait till my Steinberger looks beat to hell like that, but with they way I play it make be a LONG time. Perhaps I should go join a punk band for 6 months, to speed the process along.

13. Word.

They would also have some good information to share too no doubt.

14. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Sweet. Allow me to congratulate you on your amp choise. I had a Fender Bassman just like it (except mine was '65) and it is a sweet sweet thing! You might want to check the tube sockets (for loose connectors) and the capacitors (for leakage) to ensure full enjoyment.
    Once again, congratulations! And the bass is sweet too!

15. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Yea from what i hear though newer fender basses wont age like that because of the high quality paint that they use. i dont remember where i heard that but it doesnt sound to unusual. That means we all gotta go out and buy 62' P basses. Thats not so bad ive got 12,000 dollars. Somewhere :meh:

16. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Over the years, I've come to find other finishes more attractive, but all I had owned to that point were a couple of crummy Japanese basses and a slightly demolished Ric 4003. This was the first bass I could really afford ($250 -- how can you pass that up?) that had a good blues tone. In fact, I was so broke I had to put the thing on layaway for about two months to get the money together....

Best part of the story: the store was selling it on consignment for a guy that was raising cash to buy a ring for his bride-to-be. Since I bought that bass, I've been married, divorced, and married again! I hope the prior owner had better luck than I did the first time (although I think the second time for me is the charm -- this one LIKES to come see me play.)

Some things in life you just need to hang onto.....

17. wilder

wilder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Denton, TX.
    Thanks! I actually replaced all the filter caps last night.

Chris

18. i remember when a buddy of mine watched his old bassman go up in smoke. he just about fainted. good luck keeping that gear in top shape.

19. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    So what color are you planning on painting it? :p

20. here you go- a closeup of the chip in the finish of my £65 Dearmond Jetstar special that I knocked over during teardown at saturday's gig-
    should I fix it or leave it on display as a proud battlescar?

my Hohner B2A is pretty beaten-up, but I'm currently having a go at respraying the back of the neck.