1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This P-NUT slap bass lick??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RealBK, Aug 19, 2012.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Can anyone give may any pointers on how to learn the slap lick at 0:06 - 0:08? I know it's an open pop type of lick but i just can't get the speed or the combination right? any online lessons for this type of lick?

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    it's a drum roll.;)

EDIT: did you figure it out yet?!!

just bounce your fingers off the strings like drum sticks while muting. (pretend your playing bongos/congas)

3. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    It's a matter of getting your muscles / chops up to par.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Not that particular lick but here's something to practice along the lines as the video:

You're going to build up your S/P triplet muscles. Use a metronome and start slow then build up speed.

1st note: Pop the 7th fret on the G string - your index finger is going to be resting on all the strings and you are not going to fret any note. This is a muted pop.

2nd note: Bring down your other three fingers onto the strings firmly - this is a type of left handed pop. Again you aren't going to fret any notes with this action - still muted.

3rd note: Still muting with your left hand slap the E string with your right thumb. Then repeat the whole process.

These three muted notes should give you a "rik-a-tuh, rik-a-tuh" sound.

I'll see if I can make a soundcloud for this lesson for you.

-----edit----------

Here you go:

http://soundcloud.com/t77mackie/snp-triplet-exercise01-fxd

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Cool song, thanks for introducing me to it! I should start listening to 311. Anyway, that's just left hand slap.

5. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    i downloaded the studio version and half speeded for a listen ...16th note triplets

sounds like

thumb/left/thumb

pluck/thumb/ left

2X

with stuff like that as long as you get your hands in time, like a drummer as pointed out, anything will work.