1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This "Paul" can play left and right handed!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We saw Liverpool Legends last night and enjoyed their show . The Faux Paul played lefty Hofners and a Rickenbacker but when he played "Yesterday" he played acoustic guitar right handed. Pretty wild. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402489579.036664. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402489608.716349.

andruca likes this.
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    There are a few people who can do this. The bass player for the Beatles Tribute band Rain is actually right handed. He taught himself to play lefty in order to create an authentic look to the band.

3. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    There are two bassist for Rain, apparently brothers. One plays right handed and the other left.

Glen Burtnick, right handed, learned to play left handed for Beatlemania on Broadway and still plays lefty today. He was the only "Paul" in Beatlemania to play lefty.

4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Some of the horn players in my band play with Beatlemania Now. Their "Paul" also is a natural right-handed player who plays bass left-handed for the show.

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I think that Fab Four bass player also learned lefty to be authentic.

Have you ever tried it? I set up my son's left handed bass for him and it was incredibly awkward to even hold it.

6. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    I've tried it a few times and could never get anything going.

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Actually it is father and son!
    Joey Curatolo - Right handed (dad) Been in Rain since the early '80's
    Paul Curatolo - Leftie, but naturally right handed (son). Taught himself to play left handed. Recent member.
    I've known him for decades. I shook Joey's hand in congratulations on the night his son was born.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    el jeffe bass and HaphAsSard like this.
  8. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I have a hard enough time playing righty

9. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    While it isn't the biggest deal, I find it "wrong" when a Beatles tribute band has a right handed Paul.

Not the end of the world or anything, but I have more respect for those who would play lefthanded to be authentic.

andruca likes this.
  10. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm right handed and once in a while for kicks I'll try playing my bass left handed. Feels like it did on day one which is very awkward. As opposed to day one, you know where the notes are, but the fingers are going....HUH?!?!

11. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I had actually auditioned for Liverpool Legends. It went well but it was clear that they would eventually want me to play left handed, which I decided against. Couldn't justify that investment of time. Good guys tho!

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Some baseball players learn to switch hit and there was even a pitcher for the Giants who could throw left and right.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    No prob. ;)

14. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I have a friend who plays lefthanded.
    If I played one of his guitars I have to play it right handed and rethink the neck as the strings are upside down-(he had an SG with an incredible neck)
    BUT I have played one of his basses lefthanded.
    I didn't say anything to him, he was playing guitar and I started playing a riff lefthanded, until he noticed...
    I haven't done that in a while, but a simple riff I could probably learn--just not as well as righthanded on a righthanded bass.
    (I think it was Dazed & Confused I played)

15. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    After reading your thread it just dawned on me of doing that same thing years ago. I was at a friends wedding and he hired a band who's bass player was left handed. Turns out there were a lot of musicians there and my buddy wanted me to have a turn, which meant I'd be playing a left handed bass, right handed. So like you I had to rethink things real quick with the strings being upside down for me. I remember playing two songs for sure and one of them was a I-IV-V shuffle with a "Pride and Joy" kinda feel to it. Believe me when I say it was quite a challenge even trying to stick to the very basics!! I can't remember, but I'm sure I made many mistakes!!!

16. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Cool though, wasn't it?

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    When I saw Beatlemania on Broadway (many moons ago), the bassist played lefty for the first part, where the tv screen lifted, but played righty for the rest of the show.

WannaBeatle likes this.
  18. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    It was cool having a go at it. But again, more challenging than anything else.

19. WannaBeatle

WannaBeatle

Feb 26, 2011
    West Covina, CA (Los Angeles)
    Endorsing Artist: Pyramid Strings
    I know, I know...old thread.

but, that sounds like you're describing Mitch Weissman (google him and see a plethora of pics of him). He's actually a natural left handed person, but was one of the unlucky kids that were reprimanded for using their "evil left hand" to write with.

He did try to do very few shows left handed, but, was forced to switch to his right hand for playing. To this day, he'll write with his left hand about 50% of the time.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017