Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This pisses me off

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Ok me and my brother are 15, were twins. I play bass he plays guitar. He is really good at guitar too, he plays Hendrix solos, Clapton solos, etc at the right speed and barely screws up. One time my friends came over to watch a movie and we both played guitar for them. I did Metallica's Anesthesia and He did Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary. Now Anesthesia is not easy, it took me about a month to learn it. My friends were like yeah your brother is good and you're ok. What the hell? They think that just because I don't play as fast as a guitar or play chords that I'm not good, and I try to esplain that Bass Playing is about technique and not speed and they still don't understand. Why don't bass players get the credit they deserve?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's simple:
    We're so f**king awesome, that it would be unfair to give us any more credit. Face it, no one ever that playing the greatest instrument known to mankind would be easy!;)

3. If you really want to get the best over your brother, learn to slap and groove and you can take him out anytime. Try not kill him because he is your twin and can read your mind and also he is as strong as you so who would win in a fight?

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    RECORD YOURSELF WITH A GUITAR AND PLAY REAL BAD AND THEN SHOW THE TAPE TO SOMEONE AND TELL THAT THE ONE IN THE VIDEO IS YOUR BROTHER

neat
    :)

5. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Me! You gain some muscle having to lug around that bass on your shoulders.

6. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    bahahahah, thats funnier then hell man

7. I was in a book store the other day with a friend and I said to him 'They need more books about the bass' to which he replied 'Who cares? You can't hear it anyway' :p (He probably said it more to annoy me but you get the point).

I guess the fact that you always see guitarists doing large solos and jerking off at the front means that people don't notice us bassplayers much. Where would the world be without us though? Nowhere, we're the ones who hold it up gloriously in our hands! (evil laugh)

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    let's face it,guitarist will always get more credit than us.People that don't know anything about music will automatically assume that a high speed guitar solo is much harder than an average speed bass groove.They don't understand that the reason guitarists can solo so fast is because there strings are like 1/4 the width of ours.It's so much easier for them to manuever etc....

Some things will never change.....

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah.. just pick up you bass and start beating people with it.. you have the haviest guitar don't you.. well beat your brother ;)

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The secret's out. Bass is a lot easier to play than guitar. Everybody knows it.

11. The greatest quote in the world:

"Their bodies ain't movin' if the bass ain't groovion'"

And it's so true. Just tell you friends to turn the bass off on a song they like. And then see just how crappy it sounds.

Rock on
    Eric

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If the spotlight is all you want, you aren't playing the right instrument.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :rolleyes:

14. not quite Flea

not quite Flea

Oct 19, 2001
    NZ
    its just coz guitars sound so impressive! solos sound so cool

but dont ya just laugh when you hear guitarists bitch about cords and whatever else they have to learn, i sit and laugh coz i play such an easy instrument!!! mahahaha

15. Actually, I disagree. In almost all the music I listen to, the guitar parts are much easier than the bass parts.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think he was joking. :)

17. ahh..damn internet sarcasm!:D

18. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    hey fleabass89,it all depends on what music you listen to!in rancid,guitar is easier,in Jimi hendrix,well you know what i mean.

19. people that dont kno music at all automatically think we suck because 1. they cant hear the damn difference between bass and guitar and 2. the guitar player plays faster because they can and they almost always use a DAMN PICK(not saying theres anything wrong wit bass players that use a pick)

People that do know music think we suck because 1. they think our purpose is to keep the beat or melody of the song and 2. they only watch the guitar.

Its a tough life and we wont ever get as much credit as guitar players. Its not our fault the people that dont know music are dumb. i mean find a person that doesint know much about music and bass, and let them listen to marcus miller or Flea or some group/person where the bass is the main part of the song. Most of em will say damn that guitar part sounds hard while it is actually the bass. jus my 2c.

20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What about when other bass players dog you? I had someone ask me if I was a wimp, cuz she played a fretless and I don't. "Uh, yeah. I am a wimp :rolleyes:."

It's hard, but try not to let someone else's ignorance take the wind out of your sails. As my dad would say, "Some people talk out of their ass cuz their mouth knows better." What a wise man.