Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This pisses me off.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Sep 23, 2002.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    What the hell is WAshburn thinking? Theyre not only ripping off of one of Marleaux's basses theyre ripping off of a JERZY DROZD!!! "Never Following trends, Washburn sets the pace with a new line of very unique basses." grrr:mad:

[​IMG]

:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Care to explain how?

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I see a Marleaux resemblance in the MB40:

http://www.washburn.com/products/bass/mb40.shtm

but it also has a bit of Ric in it, and Hanewinckel have used a similar style in their Draken. So, I wouldn't say it's a blatant rip-off of anything.

And I see nothing anywhere near a Jerzy Drozd on their website (nor in the pic you posted, though it's so smal. . .)

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Nor do I...:confused:

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I see the influence.

I think you are right, but I doubt anything will happen.

Peace
    Nick

7. Funny that Washburn displays the Stars and Stripes so prominently when they were busted by the FTC a few years back for putting fraudulent "Made in the USA" stickers on their instruments.

Just goes to show you that some people's patriotism goes a lot further than their brains.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The most amusing thing about the Drozd ripoff is the description on the webpage (see Masterfunk's website reference).

"Washburn ABT Series - Advanced Bass Technology is the name - punch, bottom and beauty is the game. What would you expect from a neck thru, multi laminated, exotic wood body with a hardtail string thru bridge system? How much?... no way! Way!"

Sounds like they're trying to appeal to the popular "Wayne and Garth Demographic."

brad cook

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    regarding the MB40/Marleaux ripoff (http://www.washburn.com/products/bass/mb40.shtm) - I definitely see the Marleaux resemblance in the shape but does Marleaux have that extended neck thingie on it? That's interesting. I wonder if it does anything... Look at the website at the bottom photo that shows where the neck meets the body if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Kind of a neck-through/bolt-on hybrid

brad cook

10. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I think its kinda funny that that model that is a Marleaux Bass copy is called the MB model...coincidence...I don't know!!

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm surprised that you guys didn't notice it right away. Also, Jackson ripped off Marleaux a few years back. This is sad, but also, the lesson that should be learned here is: Copyright, copyright, copyright!

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, well that list goes well beyond a mid-size guitar/bass manufacturer.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That IS close!

It's interesting that this company would choose to mimic basses of small, fairly obscure companies! Why not just make a Fender copy, or a Warwick copy?:rolleyes:

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, me too, but I feel bad encouraging this trend of ripping off other peples designs.

Plus, Id rather just get a double neck Drozd in the future.

Peace
    Nick

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    So what? Sadowsky makes basses inspired by Fender. Ditto for Mike Lull.

Are you implying it's ok for a small builder to be inspired by a major manufacturer but the opposite is not kosher?

That's how innovations in bass designs happen. Small builders have the idea, then major manufacturers follow suit.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    BTW, Marleaux sued Jackson and forced them to stop production. I talked to Dan Lenard, importer of Drozd, and he said that at the last trade show, the Koreans showed a great interest in the Drozd deisgn, in fact, he said that they were TOO interested. He told the folks at Jerzy Drozd to be careful. You see the results. I remember Warwick being ripped on their Thumb, Corvette, and Dolphin designs a few years back.

Also, there's a difference between "innovation" and "rip off".

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    This is different.

This is a very distinctive and very blatanly coppying of his designs. Not to mention the fact that they are almost definetly much lower quality and Jerry's work me become associated with this.

For a relatively small operation, this can be damaging. Both financially and reputation wise.

For Fender who has been mass producing for 50 years, Sadowski does nothing to hurt their income, or reputation.

Just my view.

Peace
    Nick

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I should add that I do see what you mean and see where you are comming from.

Lets not forget that Ibanez and other companies did copy Fender for many years and were sued.

Peace
    Nick