Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

this question relates more to guitar but maybe you can help....

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by sn0wblind, Jan 16, 2001.

1. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    this question has been bugging me for the longest time, and I never really got a decent answer....

on the G string the 5th fret is C, right????
    and the next open string is B???? does anybody know why these dont match correctly, or am I just wrong???

How do you pop the bass strings?? do you pull the strings away from the bass, and let them hit the frets???

P.S. --- Thanks alot for the modes and triads

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    On guitar, the next open string is B, a maj third up from G. This "glitch" in open string intervals enables the top and bottom strings of the guitar to be tuned to E, a useful property when playing chords and other polyphonic pieces that use the full range of the instrument.

On bass, the next highest open string is C, a perfect fourth up from G. Thus, a six string bass is tuned, from low to high, BEADGC. Five string basses are usually strung to take advantage of the low end, but a few players, like Steve Swallow, string them with a high C.

As for popping, go to the Technique forum and search for "Slap". Your basic description of the technique is correct, but I think there's more to it than that. :)

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    On a six string bass and some 5 string basses the next string is a C - makes sense doesn't it. I guess we're just a whole lot smarter than them thar guitar players!

For a primer on slapping, please check out the "5 minutes to slap" at the lessons page at my site http://www.michaeldimin.com
    - it might give you some insight

Mike

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    That sure is a serious answer. I thought that I was the only one to be allowed serious answers on my forum. All else must be humorous or just dead wrong so I can humiliate you over the ENTIRE web :)

For another 5 stringer who tunes E,A,D,G,C check out Matt Garrison at http://www.garrisonjazz.com

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    There is also a great guitarist/singer from Rochester NY names Miche Fambro who tunes his guitar in 4ths E,A,D,G,C,F and then turns the whole thing upside down (as he is a lefty). His chord voicings are rather unique and beautifull.

Mike

6. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    thanx guys!!!! you rock!!!!!! thanx sooooo much for the help! talkbass.com rules!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

thnx Mike, I bookmarked your website for future refrences, and it's nice to see some humor, I'll try the drumstick trick for a week and let the world know how good it works...

[Edited by sn0wblind on 01-17-2001 at 01:18 PM]