1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This running thing is starting to grow on me..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've never done much sports, but last summer I joined the local amateur-league rugby team as a part of a cunning plan to get me in shape without me even noticing it. It was a relative success - however, mainly because I noticed how bad shape I actually was in, and started exercising more often. The rugby season ended in September, and since I've been going to the gym and running to the local sports hall a few times a week. I'm slowly starting to see some results.

The latest developement is that I started doing a regular sprint program today. Oh man! After few 300m dashes and 50m sprints my legs are totally wasted. I never thought doing just one fast 300m lap was so hard. Just what I need, it's great to feel the burn in your legs and in your lungs.

Anyone else who's grown into doing sports after their teen years?

2. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I was in wrestling for 2 yrs in high school. Hated keeping weight. After sophomore year I started lifting and eating to get big but didn't do any more sports til Junior year of college, competed in the university bodybuilding show. The training, diet, preparation, and everything all lead up to one day and it was great. Took lots of dedication.

You say you like the results you're seeing... make sure you pay attention to what you eat. I'm not saying "diet" because restricting calories is not the best idea, but if you clean up your diet and pay attention to it thats at least 1/2 your results right there.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Oh God I hate sprinting. The fact that I have a phobia of vomitting makes it 100x worse, since you get that nauseous feeling after a few good sprints. It sucks. :(

Yes, definately pay attention to what you are eating and make sure you get enough rest.

4. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I've been doing less 'sports' now (than when I was younger) but far more exercise. I've also been bitten by the running bug, hated it at first, but you get used to it.

5. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    I love running. I don't love when I get busy and suddenly have taken a week off without even realizing it and then having to backtrack a little. I get very wimpy and very "I suck, I am such a bad runner, I'll never get anywhere with this..." and then when I stop wimping and just gear up and GO, I begin to realize that a week off is not the end of the world. And I can still run. And can even *gasp* still progress.

Stupid negativity thing constantly seems to get me though. Happens too much. Bad habit I guess. Grr.

But yeah. Rugby sounds fun. Think I'll stick to running though.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yeah, rugby is fun, but in a bruisy kinda way.

But it looks I'll be doing more than my share of running too, I just signed up for my first-ever half-marathon in May - I'll be out there jogging or sprinting 3-4 times a week from now on :ninja:

7. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Half marathon?? That is awesome... please keep us posted as to how the training goes. You are a brave soul, I am still kind of eyeballing a 10k and thinking that'll be a nice little challenge for me. =)

8. I do Lacrosse and dragonboats.
    Both are awesome really easy sports to pick up. All LAX requires is a little stamina and not being afraid of getting a lil bruised.
    And Dragonboats just requires some upper body and core strength.
    Yay for sports!

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If you are interested, I decided to start a blog about it, you can find it at proileri.livejournal.com :bassist:

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I never played any sports, or was ever into a workout program until about 6-7 months ago. I started running 3-4 times a week, following this program:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Having gone from nothing, and never having been in shape, or done any running before, Im now up to 4-5 miles at a time, 3x a week. I am still somewhat amazed with myself everytime I complete a run. I think to myself, how on earth was I able to do that - considering I couldnt run down the street when I started lol.