1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This Sadowsky confuses me . . . is it a P or a J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Mar 10, 2008.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

There's a bit of a puzzle with this new Sadowsky . . .

[​IMG]

It's called a P5 and has a classic P body, yet has single coil J pickups. Also a selector switch.

I'm so used to seeing classic P bodies, just not with that pickup configuration and location.

I'd bet it has an amazing tone.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's a P if you go by body style like the old Squier Precision Deluxe five string which has a P-body, a p-style pickguard, and two J-pups.

3. I'm going to go out on a limb and say none of the above, being a five string and all. =P

But pickups are in their normal position.

4. I'd think of as J bass because you are going to get J bass tones; not P bass tones.

P body with pups in J bass locations. They look J location to me.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm no expert, but the neck pup looks farther back toward the bridge than the normal J-bass neck-pup position. Instead it looks like it's in the single-coil P bass "sweet spot", so it would be closest to a '51 P when the neck pup is soloed, but with the addition of a bridge pup option.

If it's passive I'd hit it with a vengeance.

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I agree with bongo, looks like the pickups are both pulled back from J-bass land ... like they were going for the tone of a 51 style P, then added a very bright bridge pickup. I'm not a fan, but who knows ... maybe it kills.

7. That's the way it looks to me also.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's a Jazz bass with a P-Bass body! That thing looks killer though! I wouldn't mind owning that. I do like P-Bass bodies but hate P-Bass spit pickups!

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm goin' with P.

That looks to be a big honkin' neck and that's the hallmark of a P IMO. The pickup spacing looks to be similar to the 70's position. Hard to tell withthe landing strip sized PG.

Can't love a split P ? That's just wrong...

Nice looking bass in any event - though I could easily loose the PG and expose that very proper looking burst.

10. That is hot

11. PB & J

and thats UGLY

12. Here's a rough idea of pup placement relative to a J bass. Pics weren't same depth so I lined up the bridge near the pups for least amount of error.

attachment.

Attached Files:

13. my name is jim S too. we are like twins.

14. I ahm Julius and dis is my bruddah Vince.

15. you also have a plethora of sadowsky basses which i lust for. i think you are me in the future.

16. How do you find the price of that bass? I like it...

17. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    Well this one is now mine. Whadaya say, P or J?

[​IMG]

18. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Oh man! Nice!! I've drooled on my keyboard more than once since your bass was on the Sadowsky site.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Jim C; you got you a current issue hybrid there, very much like a Lakland 5501.

Bartman; don't fret...the bass you posted is know as a "Peej."
    Looks like a pretty nice bass, all in all , but not as nice as mine:
    51TeleP_10-1.

c'mon, you guys knew I was gonna post mine...