Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This scares me no end

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Sep 5, 2002.

1. http://www.sacbee.com/24hour/nation/story/516894p-4102578c.html

I am MIGHTLY afraid of these people now. Sacrifice our rights because we're scared? I don't THINK so. So many millions of men, women and children have died protecting our rights as a people and as a nation that if we give in now, everything they fought for will be for naught.

Rock on
    Eric

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    thats sad...

3. *sigh* alright i give up were going down the tubes. im moving

4. There was an Onion article a few years back that cut a little too close: "Veterans Who Defended Rights Now Asking That They Not Be Exercised" was the headline, or something very close to that.

What's really sad is not the desire for restrictions on academic freedom--although that's bad enough--but the notion that the press should keep its hands off the "war" effort. Last I checked, information is what makes democracies work. However, as we all know, there are plenty of people who are willing to trade freedom for the illusion of security. My question is, what percentage of card-carrying NRA members support restrictions on freedom of speech and want to monitor Muslims? There's more than a bit of cognitive dissonance going on there. (FWIW, I think gun control is a red herring.)

One last note: the War on Terrorism will be won about the same time as the War on Drugs is. :rolleyes:

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Right after 9-11 someone said something that scared me a little -- scared me and upset me. It was when they started tightening security at all the airports and the comment was something like, "I think the American people will gladly give up a little bit of their freedom to know that they're safe from terrorism." This is definitely a new millenium. I hurt for our children.

:(

6. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    thats just sad:( :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused:

7. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Quoting from the article:

"Seven in 10 respondents agreed newspapers should publish freely, a slight drop from 2001. Those less likely to support newspaper rights included people without a college education, Republicans, and evangelicals, the survey found."

Before I read a word of this article, I said that they would find a way to pin this on Republicans or conservatives. Right again! Given the Sacramento Bee's well known liberal bias, It didn't surprise me when I read it.
    Do I have a college education? No. Am I a Republican? No. Evangelical? Hell no. Am I conservative? You betcha! So are you prepared for a shock? Ready for your comfortable little stereotypes (which exist only to keep you from having to think about things) to be blown away? Here goes:
    I believe the constitution should not be infringed in any way.

In case anyone doesn't realize it, our right to free speech has already been well infringed upon. It has been done while leaving the constitution intact, and while we the masses sat on our fat, complacent asses and let it happen. And who are the perpetrators of this infringement? It is the people behind the political correctness movement, of course. Anybody wanna guess who they are?*

*Answer in a later post.

8. The sad thing is, we have all let free speech be constricted, not just sputtering conservatives or naive PC liberals. The American people let the system get gamed on them.

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    YESSS!!! Exactly my point.

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    [​IMG]

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Read my sig

12. a month or so after 9-11 when they put all the soldiers in the airports with automatic weapons; i thought hmmm i guess thats a good idea. i mean yes its good to beef up the security right? and its not free i pay for those guys out of my paycheck. but they decided to take them away after a few months. now what good does that do. first of all how likely is it that another attack would happen within a few months of the first? if anything id think they would wait a little while. so now that they are gone it makes me feel like it was a slight waste of money. i guess just to make people feel better, which i agree is a good cause. oh well it just seems a bit rediculous.

13. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I'm so pissed off w/ all of this. Sep. 11th had absolutly nothing to do w/ free speech. The only people saying they want less freedom of speech are people who are afraid to live in the real world. They've tried to strip us of enough freedoms already. I think the first amendment is one of the most important ones to the "american way of life". Getting rid of it is exactly what the terrorist want. The downfall of the USA.

14. from the article:
    Osama isnt even really a real muslim, he just says he did it in the name of Allah (sp?), just like millions of people who do something bad and say it was in the name of God. Its amazing how people can think that murder (one person or thousands) can be justified in the name og God or Allah or anybody at all when both Christianity and Islam state that murder is wrong. Saying it was in the name of God (or anybody) kind of defeats the whole purpose.

15. And I just -- I cannot speak strongly enough about how we must collectively get after those who kill in the name of -- in the name of some kind of false religion.
    -- Would that be Islam, Dubya? press appearance with King Abdullah of Jordan, Aug. 1, 2002

if our president gets to say that. then i think i should say whatever i damn well please

16. In the old days, you could count tanks and figure out how strong the enemy was. This is an enemy that hides in caves. They try to find the darkest cave, the deepest cave, and then they send youngsters to their suicidal deaths. It's a different kind of hater than we're used to.
    -- The old "haters" used tanks, I guess, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Sep. 2, 2002

I want the students to understand here why someone would want to hurt America in the first place. And it's because your country loves freedom. That's why. We love freedom.
    -- That doesn't really make sense, Dubya, Little Rock, Arkansas, Aug. 29, 2002

:eek:

17. We need to know whether or not people are learning. And if they are, there will be hallelujahs all over the place.
    -- University of New Hampshire, Jan. 8, 2002

lol

18. It's worse than that. The PC movement can be ignored and eventually I think it will go away, but there was another event this summer that eroded our 1st amendment rights even further and NO ONE seemed to care. Any guesses?...

Yep, campaign finance reform. An absolute and direct slap in the face to the first amendment. How else can you explain a bill that says, in part, that you can't purchase ads that criticize your opponent 60 days before an election? Our right to support who we want, purchase ads for them and criticize their opponent is a fundamental right. That right was reiterated by the Supreme Court when it stated that money given to a candidate is a form of protected free speech. Of course, the bill was signed by Bush - probably as a politically expedient way to get it out of the spotlight and to focus on other things with the hope that it will be struck down when it is challenged the first time it is used. In that regard, the president violated his oath by not protecting the Constitution. I'm a Bush supporter but this was NOT on the menu when I helped elect him. But get ready - by the tactic called incrementalism, anti-constitution forces are eroding our freedoms on a daily basis and it will be for all true patriots to finally put a stop to it.

19. good point hambone