Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

this should REALLY thump!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Nov 24, 2002.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i am 99% sure that i am gonna order an avatar 1x15, now that they are available in a 4 ohm system (thanks to primus dude for ponting this out to me) i already have the 4x10 which i absolutely love, but it really needs some more low end at really high volume. i am probably going to go with the sub, that has no horn (i use the hartke 7000 bi-amped). this will ensurethat i never have to go through the PA system again...

what does everybody think of their av 115? does it have a lot more lowend than the 4x10? low E & B strings at high volumes: any problems? any comments would be greatly appreciated!

as always thanks guys!!! :D

2. blindman

blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    Stow,Oh.
    I have the 8ohm version that I use as a extension off my Kustom 100watt practice amp.I can get very nice lows from it.I play a Ibanez SR305DX with a phat boost and I am impressed with the low-end response of the 15.I'm sure at 4ohms and more power it would sound great.

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks!

4. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have, what would now be called one of the older style Avatar 1x15's (coupled with a 2x10). THe one I have is 8 ohm, rear ported, no tweeter. It has great low end response.

5. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    I am running the rear ported 410 and 115 Avatar cabs, and the 115 adds the low end for the higher volumes. With the Hartke 7000, you are doing the right thing by buying 4 ohm cabs, that should really be a great sounding rig. The more power you run to the Avatars the better they sound. Wish I had a crossover to add to my rig, let us know what you think when you get everything together.

6. ...and that's where you get in a fight with the sound guy, because he can't control your volume and fine-tune your sound.

Just a thought, and my 2 cents.

7. this will be apples to oranges somewhat but I have the old 8 ohm 15. Use it with my GK800's bi-amp feature and put the highs through Ampeg 4x10HE. Lows were plentiful when I put the 15 up against a wall - good room filling sound, nice fat bass. Handled my MP Level 5's B very well - I suspect it would have been happier and more ballsy if I had more power to give it.

Wish I the 4ohm were available when I was looking but overall - you can't go wrong. solid piece of equipment.

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i just got an email back from dave and there is a front-ported version coming out soon. i might wait for that, depending on when he says it's coming.

and joris, feel free to give me $0.02 when ever you want, i need the cash! :D i am not saying i won't ever go out to the PA again, but MOST sound guys in my area are unfortunately less than amateurs and wouldn't know good tone (on any instrument) if it pinched their bum. i can USUALLY do a better job dialing it in for the room than they will do. thank you all for your input; i will let you know how it sounds when i find out what i'm gonna do! ;)