1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This should work, right? Dual Pre into split power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Systolic, May 7, 2015.

1. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Just figuring out the best way to get the ole' "Dirt Channel + Clean Channel" setup with my gear. Here's the plan so far. Tell me if I've gone wrong.

Bass​
    |​
    aby box​
    | |​
    pedal pre pedal pre (dirt)​
    | | ​
    | |​
    Crown Power Amp (run in stereo)​
    | |​
    Cab Cab (dirt)

Basically:

Bass into ABY box. Splits signal into two. Each new line goes into it's own Preamp Pedal (one dirty, one clean.) Each of those lines goes into it's own half of a Crown XLS1500 Power Amp. Then each line goes to it's own cab.

Yes?

Edit: Well that doesn't look right, please stay on the line, your call is very important to me.

Edit2: Wow, this just refuses to show up with a center justify.​

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    As long as you have the power amp in stereo mode, where each channel sees a different input, and as long as you are using two cabinets, wail on.

BurningSkies likes this.
  3. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    That's the plan. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't overlooking some basic inherent flaw in the layout.

4. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The main thing is to check the user manual for the amp and set it so that each channel is mapped to its own input. Otherwise, one input will be sent to both, and the other will be ignored. Also, be sure you are not in bridged mode. RTFM.

All this assumes the pedals have enough voltage output to drive your power amp.

5. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I gotcha. My preamps are fine. As I'm currently doing 1 pre into my poweramp, and then take that out to two cabs. So i'll just need to change it over to make sure each side sees its own input.

6. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    "Release The Flying Monkeys" ?

:woot:

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  7. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Some folks run the bass itself in stereo output, each pickup is its own signal. Neck pickup sent to a clean channel/amp/head, or whatever. The bridge pickup is sent to a dirty one, or even a guitar amp overdriven would work for the bridge.

That's how the "Rick-O-Sound" jack is designed to work.

8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Yes, either that or "Roger The Fishwife Manfully." ;)

tkonbass likes this.
  9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I'm fairly certain the OP is not running a stereo Richenbacker. That is why he has an A/B/Y box, right? :smug:

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  10. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I do this all the time. Sometimes two separate pres amps into each side of a stereo power amp, each to a cab; or sometims two separate bass heads, same setup.

It DOES give a wide range of tonal application. Most of the time it works great. It can be a possible problem at gigs with the different room acoustics in that sometimes adjustment to the room is a drag to do and sometimes simple can be just as good - depends on the situation. I kinda dig it better simple with the less complicated mini-head setup instead of the full pre solution although for recording the full pre can be nice. AB/Y switch is helpful also if one amp went out while playing it is easy to concentrate on the other - so really kind of an ultimate fail-safe.

11. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Which ABY are you using? I was looking a the Radial Bigshot.

12. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I have the Bigshot. It's fine and pretty rugged.

13. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    ART Pro Audio
    We stock these and I bought one for myself and like it. I've thought for several years that ART is one of those "hidden gems" in small electronics manufacture and have used several of their products.
    coolswitchpro_angle_med.

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Isn't it TB policy to ignore the OP and immediately try to derail threads? :cigar:

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Tru Dat! ;) :roflmao: :D