This site needs a FAQ and reviews.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 17, 2002.

1. I've been asking many questions that have been asked before.

I think this board could really use a good FAQ page that covers most of the newbie topics.

It would be great to clear the forums of repetitive questions. It would also help newbies like myself to learn more about basses.

I also think that with all of these bass guitar members, this site could develop a kick-ass review database that would be better than Harmony Central's database.

Of course, this would take a lot of time and money..says the guy who isn't a supporting member (yet)...
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Funny you should mention that... I am currently working on compiling an FAQ for just this purpose. Any suggestions from the members are welcome! The idea has been thrown around before, but I figured I would take the time to start writing. I've already got a bunch of great ideas from the mods who took the time to reply to a mass PM I sent.

Thanks in advance!
  3. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    There are reviews - if you look at the top navigation bar (above the SWR advert) you'll see a reviews button.

There are loads of really good reviews.

Hope this has helped !
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A comprehensive "newbie FAQ" is really impossible.

Once you get past your "newbie" stage, you'll see that a great deal of what gets discussed and argued here are simply matters of personal taste. After all, we're talking about sound and different people perceive it and react to it differently.
    For instance, so many newbie questions are - "What's the best bass/wood/pickup/strings/effects/amp/etc.?" That's like asking, "What's the best religion?"

Even a lot of the more technical topics are arguable. Take strings - even the big names in string brands can't even agree on design, materials, manufacturing processes, et al. Try asking if speaker cable gauge affects sound and watch the brawl begin (and some of these guys are experts!).

Happily, there is always the newbie who wants to know why their Mexican Jazz bass hums when they use just one of the pickups. :D
  5. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thank You RickBass.

One thing I don't like about TalkBass.Com is that everyone (guilty myself) seems to think they are an expert and give more than their two cents and that the way they perceive sound is the only correct way! All of the opinions are contradictory. 50% yea and 50% nea...does that really help anyone. To not get frustrated one must keep an open mind and take the reviews and opinions with a grain of salt.

There, that's FAQ #1.

Disclaimer: If any of the above upsets anyone, you didn't really see it! It doesn't exist. Go on with your life.
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    But my way IS the correct way - for me! I have never said anything different than that. I do not see myself as an expert, but I sure DO know a hell of a lot more FACTS, just as I do have more, and more elaborated, OPINIONS than the average bass NEWBIE.

Please be careful when using the word "everyone" in the future.

I do have a "life" (if you can call work life) but I'm on my lunch break now. ;)
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    A comprehensive newbie FAQ IS impossible. But that shouldn't stop us from making a damn good one. I've been compiling questions from the mods for the last couple of days, and already have a big chunk'o questions that CAN be answered. Granted, "what's the best wood body?" is impossible to answer. But, "What are the differences between groundwound and flatwound strings?" "How do I set my intonation?" "Who played bass for the Seinfeld theme song?" - these are questions we see again and again and can be answered. The "Newbie FAQ" I'm compiling is comprised of OBJECTIVE questions.

If you have any suggestions, please, let me know.

P.S.- Check out the "Newbie FAQ" at the Musical Instruments Makers Forum- THAT'S a good newbie FAQ.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Super - Please don't take my earlier post personally. I have great respect for your input.

The crux of an FAQ, as I see it is the ability to separate personal , subjective opinion where it comes into play.

There are tons of bass gear reviews on the web that are just one person's experience at a moment in time. Moreover, they usually review one piece of gear and you don't know if the rest of their rig is garbage.

Then there are the Bass Player reviews where nothing gets less than a "4". That doesn't tell anyone squat.

My hope is that a Talkbass FAQ will become a standard by which all others are measured. With knowledge like yours, it could be.

I just hope it keeps opinion and fact separate. Otherwise, it would not be any more valuable than the rest.

For some topics, our FAQ could just offer a caveat that says, "This is our best thinking/recommendation at this time.... the truth is in your ears."
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There already is a very good amp faq by one of our resident techies, Joris. It just got buried but you can find it.
    Maybe Paul or one of the mods can put it somewhere were it can be accessed more easily.
  10. damn lunch? its was only 6:05 on the east coast of NJ when you posted that(yes i do know of the Time change)
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, but he's in Sweden.
  12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    But theres not many reviews.I think he means like a whole big thing of reviews where tb members could send in an extensive review if they own the item.Good idea.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can send in a review of an item if you want to. Those are all unsolicted reviews from actual Talkbass members.