Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This sound.. amazes me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Progressive, Jan 21, 2006.

1. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3723322464517355902&q=bass

Watch that video, and pay attention to the look and sound of the bass. Could someone please tell me.. do flatwound or roundwound strings make that sound? And what do you think the strings are made of? I have to replicate that sound.

I believe the bass looks pretty awesome, too. :)

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it's a Yamaha BB series bass... sounds like elixir strings (coated Nickel Rounds)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    woot jamiroquai

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That guy is a nice player. His sound is mainly a matter of a practiced touch. It's hard to get that sound on a good bass with a set of roundwounds.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt say that, you just have to be good with muting and a funky feel.

6. pulseczar

pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    What kinda neck is that? It's really shiny like it's been coated with something.

7. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    That is a nice nice tone. That is the kinda of tone I want, fat, punchy with a certain amount of finger tone jazzyness. I reckon he has a lot od mids in that tone.

8. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The guy's got a nice funky muting thing happening, and a lot of the sound is the Yamaha - that's definitely a BB sound. I agree with the other posts, probably nickel coated strings since it's a tad dark. I don't know why the neck is shiny though. Maybe he just oiled it or something.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Figjam, I meant to say that it's not hard to get that sound with a good touch and some roundwounds.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    o ok

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think the tone is all in his hands. It's a string muting thing. He's also really good at "ghost notes"...notes that are implied. I tend towards that style a lot as well. He's pretty good, for a young'un...;)

BTW, I think it's a BB3000S. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the one.

12. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    jaco,ghost notes,and good timing,sounds like he has played that song many times.

13. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I would imagine he has the bridge p/up cranked and the p/j about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way up to get that burpy tone. Plus those yamaha's have very nice mids to begin with, and it helps to know how to mute. I watched this video earlier today and thought he was a great player... really sweet tone- agreed.

14. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    That is a pretty nice funky sound... I just can't get past the look of the bass. Blech. There are just too many good sounding basses that are ugly.

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Great player. Very fluid and effortless. Very tasty. I know its a Yamaha but a bit of a MusicMan Stringray sound to as well. Do you agree?

16. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Yup, there is a tad bit of mwah in there. Very nicely done all the way around. He's got a nice touch.

17. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    not to hijack, but...

anyone got advice on what to eq to get a sound like that? ive got a good setup, G&L L-2000, markbass little mark head and a EA CXL 112, which is like the ultimate in transparency and versatility (IMO) so id like to think its not out of my reach. problem is im kinda lousy with the eq. is the answer lots of mids? high mids? low mids? less treble? less bass? what should i do?

god, this site makes me feel like such a ****ty bass player. :crying:

18. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    That's nice. I thought it was a fretless at first with the glossy fretboard, and the smooth-muted-funky tones. Good stuff.

19. Great tone, great feel, great player.

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I love that sound. My jazz can kinda get that. I really want my Conklin to do that!