Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This stinks...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Aug 23, 2003.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Ok I have a slight problem. Both the guitarists in my band are going to be upgrading to full stacks. So this means I need to upgrade and I'm not sure exactly what I need to do. I was thinking about going the preamp/poweramp setup and getting one of those new Behringer power amps. I'd probably just use my B2R as a pre in the meantime or something. Would this be all? Or do I need to add another cab to my SVT610HLF? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

2. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    well, you could buy more stuff..... but you have fingers and the guitar amps have volume knobs.... god makes it like this for a reason:D

3. They upgrade...you turn them down...no reason to eclude you and make you you buy more things...let them get their stacks...say u ont have time or money to get another....so keep em turned down!

-Vince

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Try to get your guitar buddies interested in overall balance instead of volume... your 610 should go a long way volume-wise. The ultimate goal must be to make the whole band sound as good as possible as a whole. Guitars that are louder than everything else will not win over an audience...

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Once you've mastered the art of making those guys turn down.....and STAY turned down...it's all downhill from there. (Good luck)

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I agree that getting the guitar players to turn down is the best way to handle it. I also understand that that is not always possible. My set up is similar to yours. An Ampeg B4r(basically 2 B2r's in one box) and an Ampeg SVT610hlf. In clubs I uasually run the 610 from one side of my B4r at 350 watts and run the other side into a Carvin 210 wedge at 350 watts. If I need to blast away ;) I bridge the B4r at 1000 watts into the 610 and it's plenty loud. So I would suggest getting a power amp capable pushing more watts through that Ampeg 610 and use your B2r as a pre amp. Also the B2r could be used to push a 210 cab while the power amp pushes the 610. easy affordable solution to your problem. Try Carvin or QSC for good powerful and affordable power amps.

Here's my rig btw

http://www.angelfire.com/music3/cblood56/rig.html

Now be prepared to hide from the "back in my day we played through a transister radio and were plenty loud crowd" :bag:

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Thanks for the suggestions guys but I've tried getting them to turn down before and no matter what they claim their tone just isnt the same.

I really like CB56's idea of using a power amp to drive the 6x10 and then using the B2R to power a monitor. So a power amp and an Avatar 1x12 maybe? Hmmm...

Any suggestions of poweramps to drive my 6x10? I really don't wanna spend alot so PLX's and higher-end Crown's are out of the question.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    This is exactly where guitarists' thinking go wrong... if they can't get the right sound (often that means the right amount of overdrive and break-up of the sound) with decent volume levels then the answer isn't a bigger amp - the answer is a smaller amp! The alternative would be something I think is called a power soak, a load you connect to the speaker out to be able to crank the guitar amp without getting too high volume. In my blues band the guitarists have one Hagstom 15 Watt (!) tube amp each, and they get super sound because they can torment their amps in every which way without getting deafening levels. Then we put a mic on the speaker and increase the volume to whatever is necessary with the PA. This is the way to go in my opinion.

9. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    you need to borrow a couple of 18s with about 600 watts each and aim one at each guitarists, turn off all the treble, turn 'em all te way up and let the lows make the guitarists sick they'll beg you to turn down

solved!

bill :p

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    exactly!!
    one of the best guitar tones I have ever heard was a guy that used a 15 watt Traynor amp that was miced through the PA. And that was on a large stage.

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    QSC RMX series Power amps are generally inexpensive. You can usually find good deal on Ebay. That would be one way to go. The Avatar 12 sounds like a good idea. You might even consider a 2x10"

12. I have to totally agree with FretNoMore, he's right on the money.
    I've been in a band with guitarists that use a lot of distortion, and I do have to agree with them also that unless they really crank their amps their tone sucked big time. However, they played stereo into a 100W tube head and into a solid state basscombo with about the same power, and I had to push the output on my 500W solid state rig (with a 4x10 and an 18 cab) all they way up to nine (thank god for compressors) to get reasonable overall volume. I say reasonable, because it was nowhere near good.
    I also concur with cb56. The best (distortion using) guitarists I've heard were always the guys with high quality small combo's, either tube or solid state. They had wonderful tone and their volume fit the overall mix superbly. A good overall mix to me is really the difference between a good performance and a great one you still talk about the next day.

EZ

13. Well. It is always safe to have at least 5 times the wattage of guitar amps.

Luckily my next will be aboiut 12 times the wattage of my guitarists amp:D

14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Well back in my day we used to play through transistor radios and we were plenty loud.

What about upgrading the head since the cab is definitely up to the task?

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Yeah I wanna also see if I can do that power soak thing. One of my guitarists has a Peavey Ultra tube head which allows you to select half output bringing it down to 60 watts. Should I have him see how his tone is with that?

16. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    You'd better get an SVT.:D :D

17. Spend less money on gear and more time on getting better. New/louder/bigger gear will always be out there for you to buy. The time for you to get good won't.

18. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Umm... I am plenty good at bass playing and just because I'm looking to get more gear doesn't mean I don't practice.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The bass wedge idea is a good one. I used em in conjunction with a rig in the traditional spot at the back of the stage while playing in one particularly loud band - and loved it. I especially loved that no matter how big the stage, I was always the same distance from the wedge.

The power soak isn't a big hit with guitarists. Partly because it costs about the same as a decent combo amp, and partly because they don't trust it. Hopefully it will catch on because I think they're a great idea.